Would obtaining a lawyer be beneficial to make sure I receive proper payments from a personal injury? - Accident Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

Would obtaining a lawyer be beneficial to make sure I receive proper payments from a personal injury?

I was in a car accident in which the other driver was ticketed and his insurance company is taking responsibility. I injured my sternoclavicular joint (collar bone and sternal joint). I have been to the doctor multiple times, and a physical therapist who then referred me to an orthopedist. the accident occurred months ago and I still the same pain as I did the day of the accident.

Touchstone Law Firm, LLC

Yes, it is beneficial. The lawyer will be able to properly assess your claim and recover the amount that you deserve.

Answer Applies to: District of Columbia

Answer By Sam L. Levine
Law Office of Sam Levine, LLC

Given the nature & extent of your injuries, you should definitely retain an attorney and continue to get medical treatment as is reasonably necessary related to your car accident. There are just too many potential problems with not getting an attorney to help you in your injury case. Please be prepared to ask the prospective attorney a bunch of questions of how he/she works, what his/her policies are and how much they charge. I would advise meeting the attorney in person if at all possible. At the end of the day, you need to feel comfortable with your attorney. I wish you a speedy recovery.

Answer By Steve Lombardi
Lombardi Law Firm

I represented a female client with this same injury and in the end the workers' compensation insurance company paid for a breast reduction because her sterno-clavicular joint injury would not heal. This can be a very debilitating injury. Your care and future care needs to be carefully evaluated for a proper measure of damages and that's beyond any normal layperson's abilities. I would agree you need to hire a lawyer.

Answer Applies to: Iowa

Answer By Josh Lamborn
The Law Office of Josh Lamborn, P.C.

Many people are able to negotiate with insurance company adjusters on their own. Whether you need an attorney really depends on the facts of your individual case. The fact that the insurance company has accepted liability is good and eliminates one the functions that a lawyer can provide for you. The only question in your case (it sounds like) is how much money you should receive for your injury. It is also important to understand the time limitations in a personal injury case, as you will not be able to collect any money if you fail to settle your case or file a lawsuit within the statute of limitations. I usually advise my clients not to make a demand or file a lawsuit until they are medically stationary, otherwise it is impossible to tell whether you are dealing with a lifelong, permanent injury or something that will eventually heal. This can sometimes make a big difference in your recovery. Many personal injury attorneys will consult with you for free. You should consider meeting with one to obtain as much information as you can and then decide if you are comfortable handling your case on your own or not.

Answer By Richard Martin
Law Firm of Martin & Wallentine

In cases such as yours where personal injury results in future medical expenses and pain and suffering, we strongly advise you consult a personal injury attorney about what you are entitled to. We do not recommend settling without consulting an attorney.

The Carlile Law Firm, LLP

Yes, I would recommend hiring an attorney to represent you. Even though the insurance company has told you they are accepting liability, that does not mean they will offer you a fair settlement. Many times they accept the claim but then dispute the severity of the injuries or claim injuries were pre-existing.

Answer By Shawn M. Murray
The Law Firm of Shawn M. Murray

Hiring an attorney is always advisable when you have suffered a personal injury. An attorney will make sure that you receive all of the medical treatment you need and will hire the necessary medical and other experts, consequently maximizing the value of your claim. FYI - In Louisiana you only have one year from the date of your accident within which to file a lawsuit in order to protect your interests.

Answer By Mitchell Sexner

Yes. It would be beneficial to hire an attorney for this.

Answer By Paul A. Samakow
The Law Offices of Paul A. Samakow, P.C.

You absolutely need an attorney to represent you. Insurance companies are not your friends. Every dollar they pay you for a claim is a minus in their profit analysis. They will NOT be fair or reasonable with you. Because an attorney can threaten a lawsuit, and go to court if necessary, they will be more reasonable with an attorney.

No, absolute guarantees in this life, but usually a lawyer will get a better settlement than you can , even after his fee is deducted. In any kind of serious injury case the stakes are a little higher when the carrier knows a lawyer is looking over their shoulder. Little like penny poker. When there is a lawyer involved the carrier usually does not play penny poker. If you have a serious injury and it seems you do, don't be a a hurry. Find you a good PI lawyer and get the best medical care available and do not talk to anyone but your lawyer and your doctor. Carriers will do their damnedest to get you to say something on the phone that will compromise your case. Don't let that happen.