Would it be smart for me to plead guilty after getting caught and charged for retail theft? - Criminal Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

Would it be smart for me to plead guilty after getting caught and charged for retail theft?

Would it be smart for me to plead guilty after getting caught and charged for retail theft? The items I stole amounted to $290. If I do just pay the fine for being guilty would that be better?

Sure, until you write back in two years and ask how to get it expunged off your record, because you cannot get a job.

Anderson Law Office

You should contact an attorney asap. You don't want a theft conviction on your record if at all possible. It can affect employment, housing and travel.

Answer By John F Brennan

I would suggest that you engage an attorney and stop admitting to criminal activity over the Internet. Regarding further advice, I would have to have the details before a reasoned opinion could be formed.

Answer By Edward J. Blum
Law Office of Edward J. Blum

No. It would be dumb, unless you don't need a job, where people will ask if you've ever been convicted.

Answer By Jeff Yeh

Nope. Theft is a crime of moral turpitude, and if convicted you can kiss your career aspirations goodbye. Hire a lawyer before you get duped into a plea you will regret for life.

The Rogers Law Firm

No, it would not be better for you to plead guilty to stealing. Potential penalty for stealing in Missouri is 1 year in jail and $1,000 fine. A conviction for stealing can not be expunged (removed) later and will stay on your criminal record forever and will prevent you from getting a job, renting an apartment, or getting federal student loans. Hire an attorney to take care of this for you.