Will I go to jail for having ecstasy pills? - Criminal Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

Will I go to jail for having ecstasy pills?

Can I go to jail for ecstasy pills and meth if it’s my first felony and drug case? I have a juvenile background of mental records. It was code 11377.

Answer By Gabriel Dorman
The Law Offices of Gabriel Dorman

Possession of ecstasy and methamphetamine are felony offenses and, as such, carry the potential for jail or prison. The fact that this is your first offense will be of some benefit to you. However, the only way to properly advise you as to what the potential consequences may be is to sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to thoroughly evaluate your case. Most, if not all, criminal defense lawyers offer free case evaluations, so you have nothing to lose by contacting a few of them. Also, you may want to strongly consider hiring a experienced criminal attorney to represent you as this will maximize your chances of avoiding jail, if possible, and obtain the best possible result for you. I hope this answer was helpful. If you would like to discuss your case is more detail, I would be happy to do so. Good luck.

Answer By Tracey Sang

Possibly, but a good attorney can most likely keep you out. It depends on the amount, the details of the arrest, the circumstances of your particular life, etc. Feel free to call me to discuss your case if you're in San Diego.

Answer By Thomas Mueller
Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller

Those charges are felonies. You can be sent to jail or even prison. However if this your first adult offense a good lawyer can probably keep you out of jail and maybe even avoid a conviction. For more info or a fee quote, call.

Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan

You can go to jail but more likely you will be offered drug diversion program and no jail.

Answer By Joe Dane
Law Office of Joe Dane

If this is your first offense and you are only charged with simple possession (11377) instead of sales (11378), you should be eligible for a drug diversion program. Your attorney can advise you further.

Answer By Phil Hache

Depending on your past, you may be eligible for a diversion program. I have been successful in getting a drug program (in place of jail time) for 2nd offense Meth possession cases. You can reach me through my website if you would like to speak with me in more detail about your case.

Answer By Joseph A. Katz

Absolutely. A violation of Health and Safety Code section 11377 is a wobbler, punishable as either a felony or a misdemeanor. You can get up to a year in jail, or sixteen months, two years or three years in prison. You will not, though. If it is your first time, on that charge, you will almost surely be eligible for Diversion, pursuant to Penal Code section 1000. Do not fail to take advantage of that opportunity. Complete the program. Get the case dismissed. It will be as if it never happened. This is assuming that you were lawfully detained and searched, of course.

Answer By Ardalon Fakhimi
California Criminal Defense Center

Yes, you can go to jail for possession of ecstasy and/or meth. You can even be sentenced to state prison, although this is unlikely if you have no criminal history and it is simple possession (for personal use versus possession for sale). However, if you have no disqualifying criminal history and there was no violent conduct involved in your case, you may be eligible for a program that will keep you out of jail AND get your case dismissed upon successful completion of the program. Please contact our office to determine whether you qualify.

Law Office of Andrew Roberts

Not necessarily- depending on various factors there is a good chance of getting the charges greatly reduced or dismissed. Call me for more information.

Answer By Terry Nelson

No attorney can predict the outcome, nor even give an intelligent opinion, without reviewing and knowing all the charges, evidence, reports, testimony, priors history, etc. However, effective plea-bargaining, using whatever legal defenses, facts and sympathies there may be, could possibly keep you out of jail, or at least dramatically reduce it, depending upon all the facts. Not exactly a do it yourself project in court for someone who does not know how to effectively represent himself against a professional prosecutor intending to convict. If you don't know how to do these things effectively, then hire an attorney that does, who will try to get a dismissal, diversion program, reduction or other decent outcome through plea bargain, or take it to trial. If serious about hiring counsel to help you in this, and if this is in SoCal courts, feel free to contact me. Ill be happy to help use whatever defenses there may be.