Will I get a violation for driving without a driver's license? - Criminal Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

Will I get a violation for driving without a driver's license?

I got a receiving stolen property charge in February of 2009, served some time and was put under informal probation. Now I was just given a ticket for driving without a driver's license,(never had one). Can I get violation for this misdemeanor?

Law Offices of Martina A. Vigil, PC

Yes. You will be charged with Vehicle Code 14601.1 and a probation violation. These are misdemeanor charges.

Answer By Anthony Sessa
Law Office of Anthony Sessa

Robert Mortland

You could be facing a probation violation based on a 12500 CVC violation.

Law Office of Andrew Roberts

Yes. This is a misdemeanor and would be a violation of your probation. Why can't you get a license? You need an attorney to help minimize this.

On your probation it states obey all laws. This includes driving without a drivers license. If you show up at your probation violation hearing with a valid license you should be OK.

Answer By Paula Drake
Law Offices of Paula Drake

You could get a violation but probably the court would just reinstate probation. If you get license before you go to court they might reduce the charge to an infraction or maybe even dismiss it.

Answer By James A Bates
Law Offices of James A Bates

Yes, you may. I suggest getting a license before your next court appearance. It might help a little.

Hammerschmidt Broughton Law

Possibly. It depends on the specific terms of your informal probation (felony? Misdemeanor?), and the nature of the license violation. If it is an infraction (fine only), you won't be violated. If it is a misdemeanor (jail possible plus fine), then there's a risk that you can be violated. Consult with a criminal defense attorney who can look at the details of your situation and give you more specific advice.

Law Offices of George Woodworth & Associates

Not necessarily. First, the Court that you are on probation with must learn of the new case, and then must consider the charge serious enough to file a Probation Violation against you. Courts in different counties might not communicate with each other, and you may escape a violation hearing. Also, don't lose hope that you may be able to get out of the "no driver;s license" (CVC 12500) charge by making a deal with the D.A. to get a California Driver's license and then come back show it to the Court and get the 12500 dismissed. I've done this for many, many clients. Get a good lawyer, and gett this handled!!