Will I get charged with underage drinking after I was assaulted outside a nightclub? - Criminal Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

Will I get charged with underage drinking after I was assaulted outside a nightclub?

I was assaulted outside a nightclub and am going to court for it as a witness to persecute the assaulter for the crimes committed. Medical records from my trip the hospital said I was drunk, though I did not drink at the nightclub. Would I get persecuted for underage drinking?

Answer By Roy L. Reeves

It is possible, you can bet the fact will come out at trial.

Answer By Michael Moody
Law Office of Michael Moody

You might, but it is doubtful.

Anderson & Carnahan

Probably not, talk to the prosecutor who subpoenaed you.

If you were underage and had consumed alcohol you could be charged and convicted for underage alcohol consumption also referred to as minor in possession of alcohol.

Answer By Jules Fiani
Jules N. Fiani, Attorney at Law

Yes, you can be prosecuted if you admit at trial that you had been drinking.

Answer By John Carney

The DA does not usually prosecute the witnesses or victims of the crime, but that is not always the case. They are not likely to care about underage drinking that was not charged at the time. They are not likely to call the officer and have him do the paperwork at this late date. You are supposed to appear if the DA tells you to, but unless there is a court order, summons, or you are told by a judge to appear somewhere you are not going to get in trouble most often for just not showing up or answering the DA's calls. If you are worried about being charged, you should have your parent call the DA to get his or her assurance that if you show up you will not be charged.

It's not likely you will get prosecuted for underage drinking because the DA wants to convict the assaulter. However, if it goes to trial, you can bet someone will be asking you how intoxicated you were and where were you drinking. Good luck.

I doubt it seriously. Just don't answer any questions about your drinking. Plead the 5th Amendment and refuse to answer any question about your drinking. It may affect your credibility as a witness, but you will be protecting your rights. Stay well.

Although it is possible for you to be charged with underage drinking, I seriously doubt that they will bring charges at this late date. If they do, you are not looking at doing jail time, but this could affect your driving privileges, as there is zero tolerance in Illinois.

No you will not be charged.