Will I be responsible for back taxes that a dependent owes? - Tax Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

Will I be responsible for back taxes that a dependent owes?

My mother in law came to live with us last year. We were planning on claiming her as a dependent, however, she has a house that is in the beginning stages of foreclosure. Since she is going to still owe taxes on the house until the foreclosure process is complete, are my husband and I going to be liable for those taxes or any other outstanding debt if we claim her as a dependent?

Answer By David Hoines
David Hoines Law

No you will not be.

Steven J. Fromm

No, just because you are providing her with more than one-half of her support and she otherwise qualifies as your dependent does not make you liable for her own debts. If you co-sign or otherwise guarantee her debts than you do have legal liability.

Answer By Luke T. Pepper
LT Pepper Law

She would be responsible for the taxes and any assets she has would be used to pay the liability.

Answer By Bruce Givner
Givner & Kaye

No. You are not responsible for someone else's taxes.

Answer By Kent W. Meyer
Meyer & Yee, LLP

No- her status as a dependent shouldn't make you liable. However, you need to make sure she actually qualifies as your dependent to get the deduction.