Will I be faced with more charges for getting an underage drinking ticket? - Criminal Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

Will I be faced with more charges for getting an underage drinking ticket?

When I was 18yrs old, I received an underage drinking ticket and accidentally missed court because I had lost the ticket. Im 21 yrs old now and I got caught for drinking in public ticket. Would I get in trouble for it when I show to court?

Lowenstein Law Office

It depends on several factors.

A.L.A. Law Group, LLP

Yes, you will most likely have a bench warrant and failure to appear if you never returned to resolve the case from a couple years ago. You will have to also deal with that ticket but you can ask the judge to dismiss the failure to appear on the old case if you resolve it when you show up on your new case. You should speak with a criminal defense attorney right way because they can go to court for you on a misdemeanor and clear up both the old case, recall any warrants, request a dismissal of any failure to appears and get an offer and police reports on the new case. This is the best choice because even though it is extremely unlikely they could take you into custody for failing to resolve the old case when you show up on your new case.

Answer By Paul Wallin
Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation

Yes, there likely is a warrant out for your arrest and when you appear on the new case, if it is in the same court they will likely know about the old case and you will be facing punishment on both of them. In addition if you plead to the underage drinking matter it could result in your driving privilege being suspended for one year.

Answer By Jeff Yeh

Yes, because on top of the current charge, you porbably have an active warrant out for your arrest. Consider having an attorney appear on your behalf without you, thereby lessening the chances that you will be taken in custody right then and there.

Law Offices of Martina A. Vigil, PC

Probably, yes. A minor in possession is a misdemeanor and requires that you attend the court date. There is probably a warrant based on your failure to appear. If you go to court on your own instead of sending an attorney for you, you run the risk of being detained.

There likely may be a warrant out for your arrest for having missed the appearance. You should check with the court where it was to take place or the police agency involved. If there is you might want an attorney to appear for or with you on the new case.

Answer By Terry Nelson

Get in trouble? If you didnt show up on the original charge, there is an arrest warrant for you. The judge on the current charge is going to force you to deal with that as well as the new charges. Im surprised the arresting officer didnt cuff you. Since neither is a serious or violent crime, I would hope to be able to get you off with no jail time, or very little, but expect fines and probation at the minimum.

Answer By James A Bates
Law Offices of James A Bates

There is probably a warrant in the system. It depends on the judge. Many judges treat failures to appear differently. Do not let the warrant scare you from going to court this time. It will only get worse. Hopefully the judge will give you some community service instead of jail time. Go in the front door of the courthouse. Do not wait to be arrested and brought to court in a bus. Also, you may owe the DMV a one-year suspension of your license for that underage drinking charge. See if the DA will reduce it to disturbing the peace.

The District Attorney will run you for wants and warrants, when you did not show up on the first case a Bench Warrant would have been issued for your arrest. The district Attorney will inform the court of this. Other than drunk in public you will be charged with non-appearance and underage drinking.

Answer By Joe Dane
Law Office of Joe Dane

Assuming they filed charges against you within the statute of limitations and you never went to court, the case is still active and there is probably a warrant out for your arrest. Yes, they'll know about it when you go to court on your new case. The underage case could possibly result in a one year suspension of your license if you're convicted of minor in possession. It's worth it to sit down with a local criminal defense attorney to discuss representation on both cases to minimize the damage.