Will a DUI affect my college applications? - DUI Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

Will a DUI affect my college applications?

I am trying to apply for graduate school. I got a DUI recently and I am really worried that it will affect my chances of getting accepted somewhere. What can I do?

You can apply for an expungement if you have completed probation. An attorney can advise you of the details. Otherwise it is not likely that a first offense DUI will affect your chances of getting admitted.

Answer By Michael R. Nack
Michael R. Nack, Attorney at Law

You can (and should) hire the best attorney you can afford. The attorney might be able to defend the charge against you, or at least negotiate a plea bargain that will avoid a conviction being entered upon your record. I have handled hundreds of such cases in the thirty-three years that I have been practicing law, and I might be able to help you.

Anderson Law Office

It probably will not affect your application process, but it is best to try to get the case reduced or dismissed.

Law Office of Thomas A. Medford, Jr., PC

You, depending on the facts of the case, seek to enter a diversion program which may result in the charges being dismissed. You should consult with a local attorney about possible diversion programs in you area.

Answer Applies to: District of Columbia

Answer By Cynthia Henley
Cynthia Henley, Lawyer

Is the case pending? If so, you can fight the charge. Will it affect your applications? You will have to read the information about the school. For some types of jobs it could be critical; for others, less important but for any position it could affect - if they have 2 equally qualified applicants and the only real difference is one has been convicted of violating the law, then there is a difference upon which they can base a decision.

Answer By Craig Andersen

You should contact the school admissions office and ask them about disqualifying conditions.

THe DUI will never come off your record so I do not think there is much you can do.

Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC

The first question is whether you have been charged or whether you were actually convicted. You are presumed innocent until proven guilty. However, if you were convicted or pleaded guilty to offense which was not sealed in the court records, you would have a conviction on your record. If you have a conviction on your public criminal history, then yes, it is possible that a university or future employer could find that conviction. Further, you may be required to disclose your criminal history to a potential school or employer if they request it. Whether a conviction would impact an applicant's potential admission depends on the school's policies and a litany of many other factors. There are plenty of people who picked up a misdemeanor conviction at some point and have gone on to successful professional careers.

Answer By Michael Bialys
Law Office of Michael Bialys THE DUI MAN

There are several possible options here.

Answer By John Carney

I doubt that the DWI will keep you from getting into graduate school, but it will be a problem on job applications.