Who is responsible for paying for a new set of lock and keys for the mailbox, me or the landlord? - Landlord and Tenants Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

Who is responsible for paying for a new set of lock and keys for the mailbox, me or the landlord?

My landlord is telling me I have to go to the post office and pay for a new lock and keys for the mailbox. The mailbox is a big one with multiple boxes. I'm being told that because it is owned by the post office, I have to fork out the $45 for a new lock and keys and it is not their responsibility. Is this true?

Stuart P Gelberg

If the PO box is owned by the PO why is it your landlord's responsibility?

If you want a new lock and the lease doesn't provide for the landlord to pay for it, then it is your responsibility.

Answer By Patrick Currin

Group mailboxes become the property of the US postal service when they are put into use. Your landlord is telling the truth.