Who is responsible for the damages to my car? - Accident Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

Who is responsible for the damages to my car?

My car was parked at a meter on the side of the road when a power line broke and dropped on top of my car and another car in front of mine. It caused both cars to catch fire and melt away. The remainder of the car was towed to the police impound. Who is responsible for the damage? What is my rights?

Answer By Mark Leonardo
Law Office of Mark J. Leonardo

Clearly the power company is responsible. Contact their risk management department and make a claim. Alternatively, your own insurance company should pay for the car and seek reimbursement on your behalf from the power company.

Law Offices of Earl K. Straight

The utility company that owns and operates the power line would be the responsible party.

Answer By Duncan T Pham
D T Pham Associates, PLLC

The owner of the power line is responsible for the damage if it can be shown that the line broke due to the owner's negligence in designing, installing, and/or maintaining it. Otherwise it would be classified as an "act of God" - You may have to file a claim for property damage if you have comprehensive coverage on your vehicle.

Without more info it is hard to say for sure but you should look to the power company obviously. If they failed to properly maintain their lines they would be liable.

Ramunno & Ramunno, P.A.

The power company would be responsible but you should let your insurance company handle same.

Answer Applies to: Delaware

Answer By Reza Torkzadeh
The Torkzadeh Law Firm

It depends on who owns the power line and/or is responsible for its maintenance. Also depends on what caused the power line to break. I suggest you immediately speak with an attorney who can evaluate your case and be able to advise you accordingly.

Possibly the utility company is responsible for the care and maintenance of this power line.

Answer By Jared Altman

It depends on why the wire broke. Whoever caused it to fall might be responsible or the utility might be held liable for not properly securing it in the first place or for failing to adequately maintain it after that.

Answer By James P Kelaher

The power company can be held responsible if and only if you can show that the power company either knew that the cable was worn or they failed to inspect the cable regularly in violation of their own mandates.

Answer By Robert Kelly
R. D. Kelly Law Firm, P.L.L.C.

Suing somebody successfully requires showing four elements: 1. your defendant had a duty 2. your defendant breached his duty 3. the breach of duty was the proximate cause of your damages 4. the extent of the damages. In your statement, there is apparently an issue regarding whether there was any negligence on the part of the owners of the power line. You should probably speak with an attorney about it. Perhaps you would need an expert witness to investigate whether the power line company was negligent. Not every unfortunate event is the result of somebody's wrongdoing. Sometimes things happen that are nobody's fault so there is nobody to sue. It might be necessary to start a lawsuit to use the civil discovery process to investigate whether there was any negligence in the construction or maintenance of the power lines.