Who can find out that I've filed for bankruptcy and why? - Bankruptcy Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

Who can find out that I've filed for bankruptcy and why?

I am 28 years old and I am thinking about filing for bankruptcy but I'm really embarrassed about it. If I file for bankruptcy, does that become public information? Who will be able to find out?

Answer By Ronald K. Nims

Bankruptcy is a public record. Anyone who looks in the court records can look it up.

Filing a bankruptcy is not a secret. Almost everything that happens in or in relation to courts in America is public. On the other hand, only your creditors get notice of the bankruptcy, and your employer if you file a chapter 13. So it is unlikely that your neighbor down the street, or your child's kindergarten teacher will find out. Don't be concerned about embarrassment keep you from doing what you need.

Answer By Paul Stuber
Paul Stuber, Attorney at Law

Yes it is public information. In some areas it is also published in the local paper. It will become a part of your credit report for anyone who checks. The law is that it can not be held against you after ten years has passed.

Answer By Janet Lawson

It is public information. Your creditors will know because they are notified. If anyone else wants to know they have to get a PACER account and specifically look you up. It is against the law now to publish or post "deadbeat" lists.

Answer By Scott Jordan

Filing Bankruptcy is part of the public record. However, it is not usually published in the local newspaper. If someone chooses to do a background search, they would most likely find that you filed for bankruptcy. On the other hand, with very few exceptions, you cannot be discriminated against for merely having filed for bankruptcy protection. It is a constitutional right.

Mauritz Van Niekerk, Attorneys at Law

It is public knowledge but mostly only the people that put your credit will know.

Only the creditors are notified. However, it is a public record, so if someone looks for it they can find it.

Answer By Dorothy G Bunce

Yes, everything is available online and bankruptcy filings are public information. But you have to know to look, you have to know where to look, and a sneaky peek is going to cost whoever does look some cash. Is it going to be posted on TMZ or social media? Sort of depends on how important you are in the online world. For most people, the only ones who know are those you tell, so never trust anyone with this information other than your creditors, who will, of course, have to know.

Answer By J. Thomas Black
Law Office of J. Thomas Black, P.C.

Yes, filing bankruptcy is public information. It can be reported on your credit reports for 10 years. And some employment applications ask if you have ever filed for bankruptcy. And anyone with an internet connection can go online to a service called Public Access to Court Electronic Records (PACER) or similar services and access all of your bankruptcy documents, to see where you work, how much you earn, who you owe, and what you own. Personal identifying information is not accessible, however. If you have to do it, it's not something to be embarrassed about. About a million people in the U.S. file bankruptcy each year.

Answer By John F Brennan

Yes, it is public information and will be available to everyone, and noted on your credit reports. See an attorney and get counsel BEFORE you act. Bankruptcy is not for everyone, has consequences and you need to know the potential relief you will get prior to filing.