Where can I find the most comprehensive information about filing my own bankruptcy? - Bankruptcy Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

Where can I find the most comprehensive information about filing my own bankruptcy?

I am not able to retain counsel for my chapter 7 and by the time my situation is reviewed by a pro bono attorney, two of my creditors will have taken my to court and file a judgement against me. I do appreciate that it is usually not advised that people try to be the own counsel, but I want to do this before I am taken to court by these creditors, I don't have a choice.

Answer By David H. Relkin
Law Offices of David H. Relkin

The answers to your questions can be found on the Southern District Bankruptcy Court website if you are in the five boroughs or Westchester. Otherwise, try the Eastern District Bankruptcy Court. You can find them easily on the Web. As to your immediate problem of stopping these creditors from attaching any assets. Go to the Bankruptcy Court in your district and simply file a petition. You will need a credit card since they will not take a personal check or cash. Once the petition is filed, notify the creditors of the Case No. and the Bankruptcy Court and they are required to cease all collection activities.

Answer By Janet Lawson

Judgments are dischargeable. If you don't own real property you can allow judgements to be entered against you. You just have to watch for wage garnishments (and you get 10 days notice) and bank levies. Don't keep money in the bank. So you probably have time.

Answer By Kevin Heupel
Heupel Law

Bankruptcy is a federal law governed by legal rules of evidence and procedures. The most comprehensive information about bankruptcy is to go to law school. Don't be cheap - be smart and hire an attorney. Discover the secrets of bankruptcy and eliminate your debt.

Greifendorff Law Office

Nolo Press ... http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/bankruptcy;jsessionid=C89176FF72C197565AF1E2C35BAB8590 ... you have choices that you don't perceive. Worth a free short consult with a bk lawyer to get a better viewpoint.

Answer By Harry L Styron
Law Office of Harry L Styron

Nolo Press publishes paperback books on How to do your own Chapter 7 Bankruptcy. If your local book seller doesn't have it you can order it from nolo.com or amazon.com. Amazon will get it to you in 2 or 3 days if you request that service.

Answer By Bill Zurinskas
Bankruptcy Law Center

The best selfhelp chapter 7 bankruptcy guide is published by Nolo Press. If you have a very simple bankruptcy, it will help, but the problem is knowing whether or not you have a simple bankruptcy. I have had many clients that I thought had a simple bankruptcy, only to find out during the 2-3 hour appointment to prepare the bankruptcy, that the case was more difficult than first appeared. I have been contacted by at least three dozen debtors in the past 29 years that have used selfhelp guides and low cost bankrupty petition preparers to prepare their bankruptcy for advice on how to correct problems with their bankruptcies. Most of the time the damage is done and I can't help them. In Colorado, I have sued several low cost non-attorney bankruptcy petition preparers for multiple violations of the bankruptcy code and helped get one banned from engaging in the unauthorized practice of law by the Colorado Supreme Court (unfortunately he is still operating under his son's name). For a truly simple chapter 7 bankruptcy I charge $799 in attorney's fees, which is only slightly highter than the fees charged by the non-attorney bankrupty petition preparers.

Charles R. Nettles - Attorney at Law

Everybody has the right to file for themselves but as far as where to go for the information I really can't help you because I don't ever have to go read up on that kind of information since I've been doing this professionally for 27 years. There is a lot of information out there but I've never really looked at it.

Answer By William Weber
Weber Law Firm, P.C.

It is always a terrible idea to try and file a bankruptcy petition without the advice of an attorney. If it must be done, you need to attempt to learn about it with the information available on the internet.

Being your own attorney involves risks. At the minimum you should take your papers to an attorney to review prior to filing. Judgments or lawsuits must be listed. It is more important to seek legal advice than it is to worry about whether a lawsuit will go to judgment before filing bankruptcy.

Law Offices of Robert P. Taylor

I'd recommend "Chapter 7 Bankruptcy," by Nolo Press. I believe you should hire an attorney but if you want to do it yourself, Nolo Press generally produces the best self-help books.