What will happen if I stole a credit card and used it? - Criminal Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

What will happen if I stole a credit card and used it?

I am a private duty nurse. I stole a credit card out of my clients house. I used it 4 times in 4 different jurisdictions. Total charged approx $250. What will happen to me?

Answer By Jared Austin

You could be charged with four counts of Fraudulent Use of a Credit Charge which is a four-year felony. You could also be charged with larceny. You need to make sure that you pay back the entire amount before any court orders you to do so. This only serves to help you. If charged, you need to retain an experienced criminal attorney as soon as possible to help navigate you through the process and prevent the least amount of damage to your life and career.

Answer By Maury Beaulier

A theft offense can be very serious. While any theft under $500 is a misdemeanor. Such an offense is still punishable by up to 90 days in jail and a $1000 fine. The collateral consequences of a conviction can also be extremely significant and preclude a person from finding employment where background checks are performed. Often, if you have no prior offenses, a conviction can be avoided with a Stay of Prosecution. A Stay of Prosecution means that the offense is never recorded on your record and stayed for a certain period of time to ensure that you do not have another offense.

Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC

Based on the conduct you described, you could potentially be charged with a litany of offenses, ranging from misdemeanors to several types of felonies. I'd recommend you retain an attorney as soon as possible. Speaking generally, the prosecutor would determine your charges based on their investigation. Financial charges often require more comprehensive and time-consuming investigations than other matters so there may be a lag time between the timing of the alleged event and any action taken by law-enforcement. I'd recommend you retain an attorney to assist you in this matter. They may still be in the investigative stages and what you say and do will be used against you in a court of law if the charges are ever brought against you.

Answer By Seth J. Bloom
Bloom Legal, LLC

First of all, you should not be posting information that specifically implicates you in criminal activity on the internet as no attorney-client privilege exists in this venue. You will likely be facing charges if discovered which can include: fraudulent acquisition and theft. The potential sentences for each are: Fraudulent acquisition of a credit card - Fines of up to $3,000 and jail time of up to 10 years Theft under $500 - Fines of up to $1,000 and jail time of up to 6 months

Frances R. Johnson

Without knowing each individual charge, cannot give you an accurate response. Whether you can expect probation, jail, fines, or possibly a deferred on all or one of the charges will depend upon the circumstances of the offenses and any criminal history, as well as how strict the DA is in the particular jurisdictions..

Anderson Walsh PLLC

You can be charged with several (fraud, possession of a stolen transaction card, etc) felony charges by each jurisdiction.

Answer By Michael Palumbo

This is a felony and, if convicted of a felony, you face having your nursing license pulled. You will certainly lose your job from the agency if caught. We can represent you and likely get a misdemeanor plea bargain to at least keep your license intact.

You have committed credit card fraud and theft. This could be charged as a misdemeanor or a felony. If found guilty you could go to county jail for up to one year or state prison for 18 months, two or three years.

Answer By Craig Andersen

If you get caught, you can be charged with theft, forgery and identify theft. All of these offenses are felonies. Your actual consequences will depend on any past criminal history and the prosecutor's plea offer. You will also be required to pay restitution.

Each use of the credit card can be prosecuted individually. They could be prosecuted as either misdemeanor fraudulent use of a credit card, or possibly a felony if there was a forged signature. You could be charged with the theft of the card as well.