What will happen if I committed fraud? - Criminal Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

What will happen if I committed fraud?

I committed fraud. I have never done any illegal things before. I don't know what owners will do.

Law Offices of Scott G. Hilderman

They will either file charges or ask you to pay the money back. Of course they can do both. If it is more than $1000 in Montana it will be a felony.

Answer Applies to: Montana

Answer By Tracey Sang

Your options are to come clean to the victims and hope for the best, or stay silent and hope they don't find out. If the victims find out and report it to the police, you may be contacted and possibly arrested and charged. An attorney can advise and help you but probably can't entirely stop the wheels you've set in motion.

Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan

What amount of money is involved? This is necessary to know whether it is a felony or a misdemeanor.

Depending on the amount in question and your relationship with them, they may not pursue any criminal charges against you. Otherwise, depending on the amount at issue, you may be facing a felony, however, you are likely exposed to probation as a result of your clean record. Stay well.

Answer By Maury Beaulier

You should hire legal counsel immediately and make no further statements to your employer or to police without an attorney. Often, if it is a first offense, serious penalties and even a criminal conviction can be avoiding. The strategy for defense would depend on the particular facts of the case.

I would need more details since fraud can be many things with many different degrees of seriousness and with many different amounts of money or merchandise involved and thus with a wide range of different possible charges and convictions and punishments. You should hire an attorney and disclose all the facts and circumstances.

Answer By Seth J. Bloom
Bloom Legal, LLC

This will depend mostly upon whether or not you have been arrested or have reason to believe that charges are being filed against you. The extent of any financial gain received as a result of the fraud will also be factored into possible sentencing. If you believe that charges are going to be filed against you or you have been arrested then you should hire a criminal defense attorney in your area as soon as possible to begin work on your defense.

Howard W. Collins, Attorney at Law

You need to call and schedule an appointment. Without knowing the facts, I cannot really help you, but I have handled cases where there has been financial fraud that had not been discovered by the employer. My client came and we worked through it nicely. Thank you.

Answer By Craig Elhart

First, what type of fraud? Have the owners reported it to the police? Ultimately, if it is reported, it will be up to the prosecuting attorney to determine whether any criminal charges will be brought. Until there is a decision as to any possible criminal charges, there is no way of determining what may happen to you.

Your question is vague, to say the least. Everything I can tell you is conjecture, as nothing has happened to you, yet. You do not say in which way you committed the fraud, or if the victim is aware of your misdeeds/ What can happen is hard to predict. Depending on your relationship to the victim, and the amount stolen, will probably have an impact of what will occur next. Before doing anything, it is advisable to talk with an attorney who can give you information on how to proceed. If summoned to questioning by any law-enforcement agency, take counsel with you. If the victim merely wants you to repay his damages, be sure to get a release of any liability, civil or criminal before paying him back. If arrested, depending on who you victimized and how much you stole, will determine how you are charged, misdemeanor or felony, IF charges are pressed in the first case. You could be sentenced to anything from probation to prison, again depending on what you did. Contact an attorney.