What will be the outcome if my friend got arrested for marijuana? - Criminal Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

What will be the outcome if my friend got arrested for marijuana?

I was outside waiting for him when he pulled up in his car. The police took him out the car and handcuff him and put a car in his face. The police took him to his dorm room and found marijuana and the roommate was not there. Then the police arrest my friend. My friend only had 30 dollars in wallet. He said don’t know anything about the drugs. What will be the outcome? My friend never has been in trouble. He worked and go to school. Thanks!

There are too many variables to answer your question.

If a first time offender, your friend will probably get some form of probationary sentence, or deferred prosecution. He may be required to perform some community service or attend some drug school class, and should be able to get a disposition which will not cause a permanent record. In any case, to insure that he does not get a permanent mark on his record, he should invest in a lawyer to get the best possible outcome. In no case is he going to go to jail for this infraction.

Charles M. Schiff, Attorney at Law

It is not possible to foretell the final outcome. It does appear, however, that he would be able to mount a good defense to the charge. He definitely does not want to plead guilty based on the information you provide.

Answer By John F Brennan

He needs a good defense attorney, a drug charge will follow him for the rest of his life. It is one thing if he was foolish and guilty, another if he is innocent.

Did they have a warrant for his arrest? Why did they arrest him? What about the dorm mate? Did they have a warrant to search the room? It seems they have done several things that do not sound legal. He needs a good attorney.

Answer By John Carney

In New York State a first offense marijuana misdemeanor or violation will be given an ACD dismissal and if they are not re-arrested in the next six months the case will be dismissed and he will not have a criminal record. He can also refuse the ACD if he is innocent and set the matter down for trial and contest the legality of the search and whether he knew the drugs were in the dorm. I would probably demand a trial and not accept the ACD if he was innocent and if I felt that he did not consent to the search and there was no search warrant.

R. Jason de Groot, P.A

The friend for whom you ask the question will probably get the public defender appointed and this case seems ripe for a motion to suppress. He should plead not guilty at this stage until all the facts are known and his attorney determines if there is a viable motion to suppress, or instructs him otherwise.

Answer By Phil Hache

Lots of variables here depending on the amount of drugs found, etc. Your friend should consult with a criminal defense attorney in the area as soon as possible.

Answer By Jeff Yeh

Better hire a lawyer. Sounds like a relatively minor case, but if left undefended will result in a criminal record.

Answer By Steven Alpers

I would argue that the evidence was seized as a result of an illegal search.