What to do if you get a DUI after admission to graduate school? - DUI Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

What to do if you get a DUI after admission to graduate school?

I was admitted to graduate school a few weeks ago and got a DUI last night. Do I have to call and notify them? Is it illegal to not report it?

Answer By Thomas Mueller
Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller

You need not disclose it unless asked. But you might keep in mind that a DUI conviction may well impact your ability to get a job. Employers normally ask applicants if they have convictions. You need to disclose then.

Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC

It depends on your grad school's particular policies and the state where your graduate school is located in. You should review your school's honor code and the particular program you are enrolled in. I would recommend consulting with an attorney to assist you with this matter. You have a right to council and have the right to retain the council of your choice. For your OUI case, at least, if you cannot afford to retain council, the court may appoint an attorney to represent you paid for at the public's expense depending on their particular policies. Given the financial costs of graduate school, obtaining legal council may be a wise investment. You are presumed innocent until proven guilty. Speaking generally, graduate schools may have their own separate disciplinary proceedings that impact a student's eligibility to attend that institution. A person may be disciplined and ultimately banned from an institution for conduct that is not necessarily "illegal" in a strict sense pursuant to applicable local state laws per-say, but still considered a violation of that particular institution's honor code. A criminal case, however, proceeds through the local court system. While the factual basis for the alleged event may be the same, a person charged with pending criminal charge in the courts and/or pending disciplinary proceeding at a school of higher education has different rights, different rules to deal with, there is a different burden of proof for the prosecuting authority, and the sanctions may be completely different. Given the stakes and possible consequences, effective legal council may have a substantial impact on the possible results. Most attorneys provide a free initial consultation.

Answer By Tracey Sang

It's none of their business. You don't need to say a word.

Answer By B. Elaine Jones
The Law Office of B. Elaine Jones

It really depends on the graduate school's requirements. If that type of question was asked of you originally, then you may want to update your answer if you believe that it will come out. Better that you tell them than they find out other ways. Check the admission requirements and try to decipher whether or not you should tell them.

Answer By Gregory Casale
Gregory Casale Attorney at Law

Unless the school policy stipulates that you must report this type of action there is no rule that I am aware of that says that you must notify the school of an DUI. You obviously need an attorney for the DUI and you can explore the issue with your attorney in more detail, but generally you have no independent obligation to notify the university of the charge that I am aware of. I would advise that you get a policy manual for your grad school and review it and if there is anything that causes you to question this issue further, show it to your attorney. Financial aid may have some different reporting obligations but again, this will all be state, loan and school specific. Speak with your attorney about all of this.

The Chastaine Law Office

I don't believe you have any obligation to let your school know about your arrest.

I do not know of any requirement for disclosure to graduate school on a DUI arrest. I suggest that you review your student guide or the information as to student conduct rules to see if you do have a requirement to report same.

Law Office of Thomas A. Medford, Jr., PC

While honesty is always the best policy whether you need to notify your graduate school of you DUI arrest depends on the requirements of your school's student conduct policy. At this point you have not been convicted of anything and some educational institutions do not require notification where there has not been a conviction. At a minimum you should review the student conduct policy concerning notification of criminal and/or traffic activity and consider speaking with a local attorney.

Answer Applies to: District of Columbia

Answer By Cynthia Henley
Cynthia Henley, Lawyer

When you applied to graduate school, you answered the question posed to you truthfully so there is no problem with your answers. Whether or not you need to update those answers depends on the application request. Read the application again and see if it requests updates to the information if the data changes. (This is not a legal issue but one that could affect you getting into graduate school as well as could affect you in getting licensed for whatever degree you are seeking.) You also need to research whether having a DUI conviction would affect your ability to get licensed in your chosen field so that you do not waste time pursuing that field IF, after consulting with a lawyer, you determine to pled guilty and /or you believe that you will be convicted after a trial.

Law Office of Jonathan T. Sarre

Did they ask you about criminal convictions in the initial application? If so they may care about this. Do they do a background check? If so they may catch it. Is there some kind of honor code that you sign that says you must report any brushes with the law? If so, you probably should tell them. The thing is, though, I'm not sure why a grad school would care that you got a DUII, especially if it's for English Lit or something, wouldn't they expect you to drink all the time? I'm kidding, I love literature. I could see a pending criminal charge possibly affect financial aid, as the Feds sometime look askance at people with drug convictions, but I'm not sure a DUII would be that big a deal even for student loan purposes.