What is the statute of limitations for stealing? - Criminal Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

What is the statute of limitations for stealing?

If I stole from my company 2 years ago about $15,000. What is the statute of limitations? My old boss is constantly threatening to put me in jail and has come to my home and stolen my pets and harasses me.

3 years from the time of discovery of the crime.

Law Offices of Scott Tibbedeaux

The statute of limitations is 4 years from discovery or completion of the offense, whichever is later for felony theft under the California Penal Code.

Answer By Carlos Gonzalez
Gonzalez Law Associates P.C.

That would be Five years.

I would need to know exactly what the charges are since there are different statutes of limitations for different offenses. Since no criminal charges are filed yet that you know of, until charges are filed I can not tell if it is too late to file them. Also you may or may not want to file charges for the theft of your pets.

Jonathan S. Willett Attorney at Law

Three years from the date of discovery.

Law Office of James A Schoenberger

The statute of limitations for most felonies is six years and is governed by RCW 9A.04.080.

Answer By Andrew Subin
Law Office of Andrew Subin

3 years from the day they discovered the theft.

Answer By Terry Nelson

Depending upon the criminal charges, the statute of limitations could be from one to seven years. If he hasn't filed charges yet, he may not ever. If he does, you should hire a counsel to help you in this. As to him breaking the law, you could file a police report of his crimes if you have any proof. You would risk kicking a sleeping dog and antagonizing him into filing charges against you.

Answer By Craig Andersen

That would depend on whether you have been charged or not. If you have not been charged, the Statute of Limitations (SOL) for felony theft is three years from the date of the theft. However, if you have been charged and you have failed to appear or have left the state, the SOL is "tolled" or put on hold. In that case, the SOL would start to run from your first court appearance. If three years have passed, you can check your own record on line at the Washington State Patrol's web site. IF there's no indication you have been charged, you might want to call the cops on your old boss for stalking and harassment among other things.

Answer By Michael Brodsky
Law Office of Michael Brodsky

The answer to this question is a bit complicated. Because the amount is greater than $750.00, it would be considered a Theft in the First Degree, a class C Felony with a 3 year Statute of Limitations. If the theft is considered to have been "accomplished by color or aid of deception" then the SoL becomes 6 years. In any event once the case is charge is filed, then the statute "tolls" meaning it will not expire while a person is charged but can't be found or is unavailable for some other reason. However, that does not give your former employer the right to engage in "self-help" by stealing your pets or otherwise harassing you. You need a good lawyer!