What should I do if my husband abandoned me? - Child Custody Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

What should I do if my husband abandoned me?

My husband packed a bag a week ago. He said that he was going on a biking trip and he stopped direct deposit on his check and never came home. He called and said he was not paying the rent or bills but he was coming to pick his things when he returned. He left me with almost nothing. All the bills are due and I have a 3 day pay or quit. He moved in with his ex-girlfriend.

Answer By Michael Rose
Michael Rose Attorney at Law

Well you can petition for a divorce and ask for a hearing to get support. Get an emergency hearing to get him to pay the rent.

Divorce your husband, seek Spousal Support in the case, and move on with your life.

Do you want a divorce? If so, you can file a divorce petition, and ask the court for orders on paying joint bills and dividing your community property. Best to call a local family law lawyer to discuss your options.

Answer By Diana K. Zilko
Diana K. Zilko, Attorney at Law

If he has not returned to the house, I would suggest changing the locks. Then, if you decide to file for divorce, you can seek an order for payment of support. If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Answer By Paul Zahn

You can file for divorce or legal separation and file a request for spousal support and an order for him to contribute to these bills. I would suggest you contact the self help center at your local courthouse for free assistance in preparing and filing the documents.

Answer By Patrick Curry

Contact your local welfare department for assistance, and for Section 8 housing. plus file for divorce and request spousal support.

Bartholomew & Wasznicky LLP

In California the grounds for a dissolution of marriage (Divorce) is irreconcilable differences. There is no need to show abandonment. Your remedy for seeking financial support from your husband is file a request with the Court to have temporary support ordered. This is normally called an order to show cause. You should see an attorney or visit the Family Law Facilitator office located in the local family court for assistance in preparing and filing the necessary paperwork with the court and then serving your husband. There will then be a court appearance where the Judge will hear the case and make orders as to spousal support and other requests.

Answer By Paul M. Teinert
Goodman, Dicus, and Teinert, LLP

The first thing you need to address the the unlawful detainer notice. This needs to be addressed immediately so that you do not receive a default judgment against you and get removed from your home. Second, you need to address your family matter. There are a number of options including divorce that you may want to consider. Your best bet is to speak with an attorney who can help you decide what course of action is best for you based on your specific situation and needs. If you'd like you may call my office to set up a free consultation.

Answer By Zephyr Hill
Goldberg Jones

You need to file your Divorce ASAP and also file an Order to Show Cause requesting spousal support and child support if applicable.

Answer By Abel Fernandez

You have to sue for divorce and support payments.