What should I do if my daughter was burned at a local restaurant? - Accident Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

What should I do if my daughter was burned at a local restaurant?

My daughter was burned at a local fast food restaurant. She was admitted to the hospital twenty minutes later. Her diagnosis was partial thickness burns to the upper left thigh and her pubic area. The doctor advised me to take pictures. We ordered corn, the lid was improperly placed on the container and it spilled in her lap.

Answer By Jeffrey Unger
The Unger Law Firm

I would strongly recommend that you contact an experienced personal injury attorney. The restaurant may very well be liable for the injuries that your daughter received, and an attorney will be able to help you navigate what will be required to obtain compensation for the injury.

Ramunno & Ramunno, P.A.

You should discuss the claim with an attorney who handles these types of cases.

Answer Applies to: Delaware

Answer By Bernard Huff
Bernard Huff, Attorney/Mediator

Consult with a plaintiff's accident or personal injury attorney for legal advice and/or representation.

Answer By Andrew Velonis

You need legal representation immediately. This is not a job for do-it-yourselfers. An experienced personal injury lawyer can get to the restaurant's insurance company or risk manager and start the claims process. If they show any signs of stonewalling, file suit.

Answer By Mark Miller

You could consider suing the waiter/waitress and possibly the restaurant for negligence. Contact an attorney in the city where you live who handles these kinds of civil actions. And like the doctor suggested take pictures of your daughter's injuries and keep a log of her progress.

Answer By Francis Hajek
Wilson & Hajek,LLC, a personal injury law firm

I think your doctor has given you good advice. Document the injuries. You should then visit a personal injury lawyer to see if the facts of your case add up to a claim. Virginia is one of the few states left that still has contributory negligence as a complete defense to negligence. In other words, your daughter must be free of fault in causing the burns. Since the lid was not fastened properly, you may have a case.

Answer By Luke T. Pepper
LT Pepper Law

I am sorry to hear about your daughter. There is probably a case here but it may be difficult to show that the restaurant was negligent. I would pursue it with an attorney.

Answer By David W. Craig
Craig Kelley & Faultless

Because of the extent of the injuries you should contact an injury attorney to see if you have a case or not. It sounds like you do from the information in your e-mail but an attorney will need to go into more detail. The most important thing to do is to get your daughter proper medical treatment. However an attorney will investigate several factors such as whether this has happened before, how hot they are serving the product and whether that is a normal temperature or not. Just because your daughter got burnt doesn't mean that she has a case but because of the extent of the injuries it should be looked into by an experienced personal injury lawyer.

Law Office of Travis Prestwich, PC

You first should contact a lawyer to assist you in contacting the restaurant. People often want to give a statement to the responsible party or its insurance company. You eventually may do that, but its most important to contact a lawyer first before giving any critical information.

Answer By Jared Altman

Yes. You may have a case.