What should be the settlement amount from insurance for dog bite? - Injury Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

What should be the settlement amount from insurance for dog bite?

Female bite between eyes. Required plastic surgery. Several counseling session for fear and anxiety. Medical bills are around $40,000. Time for insurance company to make her an offer. She does have a scar above her nose and a small one below eye. She is better and looks great. She doesn’t expect much but she should get something for time off work and the pain from everything and permanent scarring.

Answer By Jeffrey Lapin
Lapin Law Offices

I cannot answer what the settlement amount should be for the dog bite without a lot more information.

Each case is different and its value is based on its particular facts and there is no magic formula to determine what a case is worth.

A person is entitled to be "made whole" or "compensated" for all injuries and damages they sustained.

There are a number of factors that determine what a case is worth. Some of these include, but are not limited to: the nature and extent of the injury; whether an injury is temporary or permanent; your medical expenses; lost wages; and pain, suffering and inconvenience.

If an injury is permanent, a person may be entitled to additional money for these items. At a minimum, the settlement should include the medical expenses and lost wages.

In addition, she would be entitled to her pain, suffering and inconvenience. Assuming the scar is not painful she would be entitled to additional money.

How much depends on how large the scar is and how noticeable it is. The larger the scar and the more noticeable it is the more money she is entitled to.

Without seeing the scar I could not provide an amount she should be entitled to.

She may want to talk to an attorney about her case and its possible worth. Most attorneys offer a free initial consultation so it would not cost her anything to get additional information.

DISCLAIMER: This response should be considered general in nature, for information purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing legal questions and issues. It is based on the limited information provided and, in some instances, makes certain assumptions. It is intended only for cases involving Nebraska and Nebraska law and is not applicable to any other state or jurisdiction. The author does not warrant the accuracy or validity of the information contained within this response, and hereby disclaims any liability to any person for any loss or damage caused by errors or omissions. In addition, this response is not a substitute for professional legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship, nor should it be considered a solicitation for additional legal advice or legal representation. If you ignore this warning and convey confidential information in a private message or comment, there is no duty to keep that information confidential or forego representation adverse to your interests. You should seek the advice of a licensed attorney in the appropriate jurisdiction to fully discuss your case. You should be aware that there are Statute of Limitations (the deadline imposed by law within which you may bring a lawsuit) as well as other requirements and/or limitations that limit the time you have to file any potential claims you may have. This response may be considered advertising in some jurisdictions under any and all applicable laws and ethical rules. The listing of any area of practice that the author practices in does not indicate any certification or expertise therein, nor does it represent that the quality of legal services to be performed would be greater than the quality of legal services performed by other lawyers. It is merely an indication by the author of areas of law in which he practices. The determination of the need for legal services and the choice of a lawyer are extremely important decisions and should not be based solely upon advertisements or self-proclaimed expertise. Readers are urged to make their own independent investigation and evaluation of any lawyer being considered.

Answer By Victor Varga

No bright line rule, but usually between 1 and 3 times the medical bills.

Answer By Mark Leonardo
Law Office of Mark J. Leonardo

You have provided no facts of the incident which is a component to settlement value. If it was an unprovoked dog bite, one would expect severe emotional distress, particularly getting bitten on the face. The age of the victim is a factor, along with recovery time, missed time from work, what the loss of earnings was, etc. However, if the policy limit is $100,000, at the minimum I would make a policy limit demand. If the limit is greater that $100,000, I would obtain a report from a company that searches for similar cases (verdicts and settlements) with similar facts and injuries. This would assist in determining value and the report can be used or given to the insurance company to support your demand. These reports generally run $300 to $500, but can be well worth the investment.

Answer By Bernard Huff
Bernard Huff, Attorney/Mediator

The injured person should at least consult with a plaintiff's lawyer who handles dog bite and other animal cases for a complete evaluation of her case including the injury.

Answer By Ray Critchett
E. Ray Critchett, LLC

Dog bite injuries can be serious and if this one required plastic surgery, it is likely a serious injury. I would be careful about trying to settle the claim without consulting an attorney first. I say this because you may have legal obligations to repay your health insurance carrier, Medicaid and/or Medicare. If you fail to address those issues, you could lose your health insurance coverage, be sued or lose other benefits. Unfortunately, it is difficult to wade through these issues without some assistance. Schedule an appointment with an attorney who offers a "free consultation" to find out what issues you may have to face before you can consider entering into a final settlement agreement with the insurance carrier. Also, if the injured person is a minor, you will have some other issues to address as well. Good luck.

Not enough information here. Is this an adult or child? Does the dog have a vicious reputation? You have to prove that to get the case started. Did your victim do anything to antagonize the dog How does a dog get in ones face? Get you a good personal injury lawyer and don't try to handle this yourself.

Married or single female? Single females are worth more because of becoming "damaged merchandise." Typically, the value of the case depends upon the residual scarring, both physically and emotionally. It is also important to know what the policy limits are. There are 2 basic defenses to a dog bite case: 1) "It's not my dog." And 2) "you provoked the dog to bite."

Answer By P.J. Javaheri

If you had a lawyer then they would be able to give you an estimate as to a fair settlement value amount taking into account the age, and other factors.

Answer By Lawrence Adler
Adler Law Group, LLC

Assuming there are no liability defenses, it will depend on the nature and extent of scarring and if there is any emotional distress. Could well be over $100,000.

Sorry to hear this happened. How old is the female? If the dog owner is liable and her scar is still visible, this case could be worth much more than medical bills. I would want to know what happened and how much homeowners insurance is available. I believe that a permanent scar, especially on a girl or woman's face, is a valuable case. And the Ohio Legislature believes so, too, since they have a specific exception that says that a permanent disfigurement permits a person to receive more than the usual $250,000 cap on a settlement if proven. Let me know if I can do anything to help you.