What happens if you get arrested and don't get your fingerprints or mugshot taken? - Criminal Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

What happens if you get arrested and don't get your fingerprints or mugshot taken?

Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC

I'd recommend you privately consult with an attorney if you need specific advice for a particular issue. This answer only contains general legal advice. Most attorneys provide free initial consultations. If a person is charged with a crime, they may not be actually booked and printed until they are arraigned if they were just given a ticket. Ultimately, if the matter is a misdemeanor or felony, the person charged will be booked and printed.

Law Office of Thomas A. Medford, Jr., PC

Nothing, the charges against you can still proceed to trial.

Answer Applies to: District of Columbia

Law Office of Michael R. Garber

You'll get a notice of arraignment to appear in court and enter a plea.

Answer By Shawn Kollie
The Short Law Group, P.C.

The process if photographs and fingerprinting is known as 'booking'. Typically in Oregon this happens at the time of arrest, however, if that does not occur it is typically required that booking occurs after your first court appearance or 'arraignment'.

Answer By Terry Nelson

That's entirely up to the police and DA whether they prosecute or not.

Law Office of Michael E. Dailey

The question is were you charged or just held and released. It is usual procedure to get the identifiers if a person is arrested, but it doesn't get you a defense if the procedure is not followed.

Failure to have your fingerprints or mug shot taken will not affect the validity of your arrest. If you received a citation with a court date indicated on it, you must keep the court date. The court can always order you to present yourself to the local law enforcement agency to be fingerprinted and processed. I strongly suggest that you contact an experienced criminal law attorney for a face-to-face consultation and give him/her all of the facts surrounding your arrest. He/she would then be in a better position to analyze you case and advise you of your options.

Law Office of James A Schoenberger

Fingerprints and "mugshots" are part of the booking process and have nothing to do with being arrested.

I wonder if you were arrested, or merely cited for a violation, and sent on your way. Without prints or mug shot, the prosecution has no prior criminal history on you, and there is no arrest record for you, regarding this charge.

Well then they do not have a record of your arrest but they could still charge you with a crime. You need an attorney.