What can my mother do if she cant pay the medical bills after the car accident? - Bankruptcy Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

What can my mother do if she cant pay the medical bills after the car accident?

My mom got in a car accident and had to be taken to the hospital. A month has passed, but there's no report. There's no report on the accident as in nobody was found guilty I guess, because she was taken to the hospital by the ambulance. Now she has a lot of bills accumulated. She only had the minimum coverage ($10000) for the car and ($10000) for body injury. She doesn't have medical insurance, no medicaid, medicare or whatever and only a part time job. She talked with a lawyer but he says he can't do anything for her case. She's not able to pay these bills at all, what can she do?

Answer By Alan D. Walton
Breckenridge and Walton

No-fault should cover all injuries resulting from the accident.

Law Office of John C. Farrell, Jr.

Some people have what is called "under insurance" which kicks in if the other person's insurance is insufficient or non-existent. Also, if you mother owns a home she may have an "umbrella" policy which will also help. If neither 2 are an option then you should try to work out minimal plans with each medical facility or seek outr local programs that assist folks with medical bills.

Answer By Stephen Trezza
AZ Law Group of Trezza & Associates

Bankruptcy is an option. Consult with a lawyer.

Answer By Kevin Heupel
Heupel Law

Your mother should consider bankruptcy as it will eliminate medical debt.

Answer By Bill Zurinskas
Bankruptcy Law Center

Overwhelming medical bills are the most common reason for filing bankruptcy in Colorado. She should get a free consultation with an experienced bankruptcy attorney

Answer By Dan Wilson
Dan Wilson Bankruptcy

Your mother can discharge medical debt in bankruptcy. Probably good idea to wait until all the bills come in.

Answer By Eric Lewis

Bankruptcy may be a viable option to discharge her liability on medical bills that she cannot afford to pay.

Answer By Asaph Abrams
Law Office of Asaph Abrams

A serious injury can certainly compel a bankruptcy filing and it can be a swift and economical solution. A (personal injury lawyer?) determined there's nothing to do in your mother's case, but any potential claims for damages must still be disclosed as assets in a bankruptcy petition. This answer (as well as our Web site) doesn't address all facts & implications of the question; it's general info, not legal advice to be relied upon; it creates no attorney-client relationship; it may be pertinent to CA only; it's independent of other answers. Hire legal counsel before acting or refraining from bankruptcy/legal action.

One of the reasons to consider filing bankruptcy is overwhelming medical bills.

Answer By David C. Ayer
AyerHoffman, LLP

Your mother's best bet may be to file for bankruptcy. Medical debt is a common reason for filing. She should consult with a bankruptcy attorney. The situation will likely be complicated by the potential of a law suit against the other driver.