What can I do if my general manager called me a nigger 3 times but no one heard him? - Employment Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

What can I do if my general manager called me a nigger 3 times but no one heard him?

My general manager called me a nigger 3 times because he got mad at me. I lost my job when I told his boss.

Answer By Steven Miller

You certainly have a discrimination/ wrongful termination claim if you can prove it. "He said/ she said" are not easy. I would also suggest you contact either eeoc or feha which you need to do within a year of the termination in order to get a "right to sue letter" for discrimination.

Answer By Tadd Dietz
Law Office of Tadd Dietz, PLLC

Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 prohibits employers from discriminating against an individual based on one of the following protected categories: race, color, religion, national origin, or sex. It is also against the law for an employer to harass an employee based on one of these protected categories. The law also prohibits employers from illegally retaliating against employees that have complained about and/or filed a charge of discrimination. It is unlawful for an employer to take an adverse employment action and discriminate against employees in regards to any term or condition of employment (i.e., hiring, firing, promotion, pay, training, and employee benefits, etc.). An employee that feels like they have been discriminated against can file a claim with the Federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission ("EEOC") Information on filing a charge with the EEOC can be obtained from the EEOC's website. An employee in Utah can alternatively file a charge of discrimination with the Utah Antidiscrimination and Labor Division ("UALD") Information on filing a charge with the UALD can been from the Utah Labor Commission's website. Claims under Title VII can be pursued against employers with 15 or more employee, and must be filed within 180 days of the last adverse employment action. This information does not constitute legal advice. If you are seeking legal advice regarding the specific facts of your case consult an attorney.

Get an attorney and sue for racial discrimination, racial harassment and retaliatory discharge.

This is a discrimination and harassment case, it does not matter that no one else heard him, your testimony is evidence enough. In most harassment cases, the person does not do or say the offending remarks in front of anyone else, they are usually too smart to do that. You should definitely consult with a lawyer to preserve your rights immediately.

Go see an attorney that handles DISCRIMINATION cases. I do not.Most do not charge to talk and evaluate your case. First, calling you this is serious.But, retaliating against you for reporting this is very serious.Most lawyers dream of a case this good. Stand up for your rights, but use an attorney that knows what they are doing.

Answer By John F Brennan

Tricky question, no witnesses, hard to prove. To have a cause of action you will have to prove you were terminated because of race.

Answer By Jordan Scott
Desmond, Strang & Scott, LLP

Massachusetts law prohibits employment discrimination, and sometimes even a single utterance of a word like that can be sufficient to trigger liability, especially if you have suffered adverse consequences, such as being fired. You should contact a private attorney and/or the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination.

Burkhalter, Rayson & Associates, P.C.

This is obviously unacceptable and inappropriate conduct. Depending on the number of employees the company has, this could constitute a violation of Title VII, and if you were fired for reporting it, it could constitute unlawful retaliation under Title Vll and your applicable state law prohibiting discrimination and retaliation. You should consult experience legal counsel. You can also contact, the EEOC.

Report the discrimination and retaliation to the EEOC or the Washington Human Rights Commission. You may also want to talk with an attorney.

Answer By Bruce Coane
Coane and Associates

File a complaint with the EEOC, or hire a lawyer to do it for you.