What can I do if I was injured after slipping at a hotel? - Accident Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

What can I do if I was injured after slipping at a hotel?

At 5:30 pm I was relaxing in this major hotel chain pool area spa. I got out of the hot tub and looked for the men's room. The two doors I checked were locked. Walking back to the main area, I slipped. My feet came out from under me. I fell hard and backwards. I hit my head on a stone tile surface and cracked it open. My body felt limp as I could not get up or control any movement to get up. I did sit up and a house phone was next to me. They sent up a guy who helped clean the massive amount of blood. Loss prevention spoke to me. I went to emergency and eventually receive 10 staples to close the wound. My right side of my neck is in periodic great pain (a 9 out of 10). Sleep is choppy at best. I feel the hotel did not warn of slick floors and should require shoes or get a new floor.

Answer By Patrick M Lamar
Patrick M Lamar Attorney

Slip and fall law is not what people really think it is. You must prove you fell because of a condition which you could not have discerned on your own. Slick floors in a pool area are sort of a given. I think it would be very difficult if not impossible to recover under these circumstances.

Answer By Dewey N. Hayes
Law Office of Dewey N. Hayes, Jr., PC

Contact me personally or a trial lawyer n your area . the question will be if hotel had superior knowledge you probably need an expert pool man or engineer to give opinion that tile not suitable for pool area to survive summary judgment , but a lot of these more serious cases may be resolved early with good legal representation.

Warn of slick floor? Slick how? slick why? What kind of floor? Wet or dry? Have you talked with engineer or builder or any other expert about the floor? What state are you in? where is the hotel? Call me 704 372 8322. How much are your medical bills? What does the dr say about the injury? Has anyone put the hotel on notice? Have you had any conversations with an adjuster?

Answer By Tina Fox
Fox Law Firm LLC

I would need more information, but it seems you may have a personal injury claim. If you would like to call the office to discuss in more detail please do so.

This is a slip & fall case, and liability in CT will take into account whether the hotel had notice of the defect and an opportunity to fix it or failed to follow its cleaning procedures. Please contact us if you wish to discuss further; we have a free initial consultation. Good luck.

Answer By Eddie W. Wilson
Wilson & Hajek, LLC

You potentially have a case but an investigation of the circumstances is needed to give a definitive answer. Example, any complaints or problems there before? Why were doors locked?

Kirshner & Groff

Call me if you would like to discuss further.

Answer By Joel Ewusiak
Ewusiak & Roberts, P.A.

Slip and fall cases can be difficult to litigate. If you are able to prove that the hotel is liable for negligence, then you can recover damages for your past and future medical bills, past and future lost wages, and pain and suffering. You should consult with an attorney. Generally, most lawyers will handle a slip and fall case on a contingent basis. The lawyer will take a percentage of the recovery, plus costs. Keep in mind that all claims, including yours, are subject to a limitation period; that is, the claim must be brought within a certain period of time or is forever barred. In Florida, negligence claims are subject to a four year limitation period.

Answer By Patrick Curry

slip and fall cases are difficult, you need a good attorney who deals with this type of case. It all comes down to notice. Did the hotel know of the slippery conditions?

Answer By Adam J. Teller
Leone, Throwe, Teller, & Nagle

You should see an attorney to evaluate your claim as soon as possible, before talking any further to the hotel or its representatives or insurers. In Connecticut, a hotel has a duty to make its premises reasonably safe for patrons. The hotel is responsible for any dangerous condition it creates, or has knowledge of, fails to reasonably warn about or take reasonable steps to protect the patron from. However, a hotel is not an insurer for all injuries which occur on their premises, and patrons are also responsible to take reasonable care for their own safety.

When my office evaluates slip and fall cases, we consider such factors as the exact nature of the dangerous condition/defect of the premises and how that condition was created; what caused the fall; whether the fall and/or the dangerous condition was documented and whether the management knew or should have known of the conditions; whether the client was aware of the danger and took reasonable care; the seriousness of the injury; whether the fall has caused permanent impairments; the amount of the present/future lost wages and medical expenses; and whether any insurer (including Medicaid or Medicare) must be repaid for medical expenses from any settlement. If the case is viable based on these factors, we take on the case and pursue it vigorously to recovery. If your fall took place in Connecticut, please consider contacting my office for an evaluation of your case and to discuss representation.