What can I do if I was fired because of injuries? - Injury Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

What can I do if I was fired because of injuries?

My right shoulder hurts and could not lift my hand when I got to work one day. I went to a doctor and he told me that we needed to do an MRI. We did an MRI and found out that there is something wrong on my ligament. I went to have a physical therapy. I went back to work and one week later, the other shoulder hurts as well. I have two shoulders that hurt badly. My boss called me and told me that I was fired because of injuries.

Answer By James M. Osak
James M. Osak, P.C.

That's a BIG TIME "Workers' Comp." VIOLATION.

If you were injured on the job, you have a workers compensation case. If you were fired due to the injuries, you MAY have a claim for wrongful discharge or employment discrimination. You need a lawyer who specializes in that stuff.

Answer By Mark L. Smith
Law Offices of Mark L. Smith

Unless the injury occurred at work your employer can file you at any time for any reason or for no reason at all, but you can quit anytime also.

Koning & Jilek, P.C.

If you were injured on the job you may have a workers compensation claim. If you were fired for asserting such a claim you may have an additional claim.

Answer By Steve Graves
Graves Law Firm

You don't say whether you were hurt on the job, but if not and if you have no contract of employment or issued employee manual that says otherwise, your boss can fire you for any reason or no reason just as you can quit for any reason or no reason. It doesn't even have to be for something that affects your job performance, though your injury pretty clearly does.

Answer By Melvin Franke

Contact me immediately. You need an experienced workers' compensation and civil attorney.

Mosley, Engelman & Jones, LLP

If you were injured as a result of your job (repetitive movements, lifting, etc.), your injuries would fall under Workers' Compensation. If that is the case, you should speak with an attorney to ensure that you are being afforded all of your rights under Workers' Compensation. If your injury is wholly unrelated to your job, your job would still be protected if you had to miss work due to the injury and you sought time off under the Family Medical Leave Act. If the basis for your termination was strictly your injury, you should speak with an attorney specializing in employment law to ensure that your interests are protected.

The Lucky Law Firm, PLC

Louisiana is an employment at-will state. Therefore, employees may be fired for pretty much any reason whatsoever, as long as not for discrimination of certain types. Also, there are some limitations if on terminating employees if the employee was actually injured on the job. If you were injured on the job, then there will be certain things that you are required to do.

Contact a lawyer about a workmens compensation claim.

Answer By Scott Jordan

Were your injuries due to your work? It sounds like your boss violated California Labor Law. If your shoulder injuries are work related, you can sue your former employer. There are additional remedies as well.