What can I do if I cant afford to pay for my medical bills? - Bankruptcy Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

What can I do if I cant afford to pay for my medical bills?

I am currently getting my wages garnished for medical bills. My husband and myself both had cancer one year apart from each other. The same hospital is now filing another suit against me. I called to make payment arrangements with the their attorney and they wanted a minimum of $250.00 per month on the new law suit. I cannot pay anymore at this time. I am already having a garnishment of 25%. What can I do?

Answer By Asaph Abrams
Law Office of Asaph Abrams

Bankruptcy filings "stay" or stop garnishments and eliminate medical bills.

Answer By Paul Stuber
Paul Stuber, Attorney at Law

The cannot garnish more than the 25%. You do not have to make additional payments. A Bankruptcy would stop the garnishment and stop the next law suit as well.

If you are considering Bankruptcy, medical bills are dischargeable. Contact a local attorney for a consultation.

Law Office Of Magnolia Zarraga

You need to consult with a bankruptcy attorney. Medical debt is one of the main reasons Americans file for bankruptcy relief. Medical debt is dischargeable in a bankruptcy. Getting rid of the debt will free up at least 25% of your income so you can start saving, pay food, pay rent, etc. Don't delay consult today with an attorney. Good luck.

Law Office of Lynnmarie A. Johnson

I would check with a bankruptcy attorney and see if you qualify to file bankruptcy. If can't wreck your credit anymore than being garnished and sued and you can get rid of all the bills at once and stop the garnishment! Good Luck!

Answer By Cate Eranthe
Eranthe Law Firm

25% is the maximum amount of a garnishment. Go see a knowledgeable local bankruptcy attorney for some advice.

Answer By Gary Lee Lane
CONSUMER PROTECTION ASSISTANCE COALITION, INC. (DE).

It is time for you to file bankruptcy.

Answer By Eric Benzer
Eric J. Benzer, Attorney at Law

You have to file for bankruptcy.

Answer By Mark Alonso
Financial Relief Law Center

You can consider filing for bankruptcy to stop the wage garnishment and the get this debt, as well as other unsecured debt you have, discharged. Many people have medical debt that they are unable to afford to keep paying. Once debts go unpaid, the creditors have the right to file a lawsuit against you. If you are at the point where there are multiple actions from more than one creditor, then you need to take serious steps towards the bankruptcy protections. While it is true that only one creditor can garnish you at a time, the fact that one is garnishing you and you are trying to make payment arrangements with another, is probably a sign that you are in over your head and raises the question of whether or not this garnishment and payment arrangement is something you can sustain going forward. Since it doesn't appear affordable to you, you should contact a bankruptcy attorney to evaluate your options.

Answer By Abel Fernandez

If you cannot afford to pay the bills, you can always consider bankruptcy as an option. The bankruptcy law is designed to help individuals who cannot pay their bills. Thus, if you cannot live on the income left after the garnishment you should consult a bankruptcy attorney to help you file for bankruptcy.