What can I do if I cant afford to make payments on my credit cards? - Bankruptcy Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

What can I do if I cant afford to make payments on my credit cards?

I have an outstanding debt with my credit cards. I have been telling them since the first of the year that I can't afford the payments that they have me at. I was on a hardship program all last year, and didn't miss a payment at all. But they say there is nothing else they can do for me. I only make $400.00 per month, and they want $450.00 per month. What do I do now?

Answer By Alan D. Walton
Breckenridge and Walton

File bankruptcy.

Consider debt resolution programs or Bankruptcy.

Answer By Kevin Heupel
Heupel Law

You should consider bankruptcy. It's the best option if you weren't successful on the hardship program.

Answer By Dan Wilson
Dan Wilson Bankruptcy

Eventually the credit cards will sue you, get a judgment and a garnishment order. If you only make $400 a month you might qualify for a free or low fee BK through Metro Volunteer Lawyers or Colorado Legal Aid.

Answer By Cate Eranthe
Eranthe Law Firm

You stop paying. Your priority should be food, shelter, medical, retirement savings, etc.

Answer By Eric Lewis

Bankruptcy may be a viable option when you can no longer handle your debt liabilities.

Answer By David VanDyke
Bird & VanDyke, Inc.

Well you borrowed the money and now can't pay. It sounds like you only have 1 choice. Bankruptcy.

Holmes Law Offices

You may qualify for a bankruptcy discharge. Once you file a bankruptcy the creditors can take no further action to collect the debt. That means no phone calls, no bills, no law suits etc. Once a discharge is entered the creditor can never again attempt to collect the debt. Whether a bankruptcy is right for you depends on quite a number of factors. It may not be necessary. You should speak to a qualified bankruptcy attorney to find out.

Answer By Mengjun Qiu
The Law Offices of Kristy Qiu

Bankruptcy will wipe everything out. You won't even have to pay for filing fee.

Answer By Janet Lawson

Sounds like you are judgement proof, meaning there is nothing they can do you except call and harass you. You can stop the calls by sending them a letter telling them to stop calling. Send it certified mail, return receipt. Log any calls after that. You can sue them for calling you after you send that letter. If you can, take a picture if the incoming call. You should also consider bankruptcy.