What can I do if I am being sued for damages for a personal injury? - Accident Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

What can I do if I am being sued for damages for a personal injury?

I received a legal complaint 2 years after the car accident that I was involved in. The accident happened one month after the plaintiff's first accident, which he incurred physical issues. He is now suing for medical costs and non-economic damages. I have never been sued or served before. I don't have an attorney. I had thought my insurance took care of the accident since I stopped receiving any papers a year ago. Please advice! I do not have any money set aside for emergency or any of this!

Answer By Josh Lamborn
The Law Office of Josh Lamborn, P.C.

If you were covered by insurance at the time of the accident then then your company has a contractual responsibility to represent you in this lawsuit and to indemnify you for damages up to the limit of your policy. You should contact your insurance company, send them a copy of the complaint and ask for a copy of your policy.

your insurance company hires a lawyer for you

ROWE LAW FIRM

Your automobile insurance company should handle any defense in this case. If the accident was more than two years ago, normally it would be too late for you to be sued, with some exceptions. One exception is if someone else who is "solidarity liable" with you has been sued. It is quite possible, under the scenario you have described, that it is too late for you to be sued. You should contact your insurance company immediately about the lawsuit. If you no longer have insurance, you may still have coverage for the time when the accident occurred, if you are liable.

Answer By Everett Walton
Everett Walton, Attorney at Law

Forward the complaint and summons to your insurance company certified mail, return receipt requested. They must provide you with an attorney.

Answer Applies to: Hawaii

The Law Office of Eric R. Chandler, P.C., L.L.O.

You should contact the insurance company that was providing you coverage at the time of the accident as soon as possible. Apparently, there was no settlement reached with your insurance company, so now the injured party is pursuing their claim through a formal lawsuit.

Turn it in to you insurance company. The will hire an attorney for you and defend the suit. Perhaps they tried to settle but were unsuccessful.

Law Offices of Earl K. Straight

Since you had insurance at the time of the accident, they will handle the suit for you, including hiring an attorney on your behalf. You must notify them immediately of the suit and forward them copies of the papers you received. What apparently happened is that your insurance company was unable to reach a settlement with the other party, thus the filing of the lawsuit became necessary.

Answer By Eddie W. Wilson
Wilson & Hajek, LLC

Contact the insurance company. They should defend any action against you.

Answer By Patrick M Lamar
Patrick M Lamar Attorney

Your insurance company will provide you with a lawyer. Contact your agent.

Answer By Jared Altman

Turn the Summons and Complaint over to your insurance company right away and it will defend you free of charge.