What can I do about my spine injury that happened at an apartment complex? - Injury Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

What can I do about my spine injury that happened at an apartment complex?

I fell three stories and broke my spine. It was at an apartment complex. What can I do about this?

Answer By Jeffrey Lapin
Lapin Law Offices

It is hard to answer your question with the limited information provided. You do not indicate what caused you to fall and whether you were working. Without knowing the cause of your fall I cannot comment on what rights you might have. You may have a claim against the owner of the apartment complex if the owner was negligent and this negligence caused your fall. If you were working at the time, you could have a workers' compensation claim. You could also possibly have both a workers' compensation claim and a claim against the apartment owner assuming they are not the company or person. I would suggest talking to an attorney to discuss your rights and options. He or she could obtain the information necessary to determine if you do have a case, and if so, against who.

It depends on how the injury happened and if the apartment complex is liable for the accident.

If you can prove liability (negligence) it would be a great case against them.

Answer By Brian Wendler

The answer depends on how and why you fell. If it was the fault of someone or the design of the stairways, you may have a good case. More facts are needed.

Answer By Mark Leonardo
Law Office of Mark J. Leonardo

Well you would first need to provide more facts in order to get complete advice. Whose fault was it that you fell? Did the railing break? Did you fall off a ladder? Why is the landlord responsible, in your opinion, for the fall? Did you live at the apartment or were you a guest? The only advice I can provide on the facts you disclosed is that most landlords will carry insurance. If so, they typically have a medical payments provision that will pay your medical bills up to the stated amount in the policy (usually $5000 ? $10,000), regardless if it was your own fault or the landlord?s (or someone else?s fault). Contact the insurance company and make a claim for that. If there is some basis to hold the landlord liable, you should contact a personal injury lawyer in your area and get a free consultation to ascertain all of your rights and remedies.

Answer By Jeffrey Lessin
Jeffrey Lessin

You can sue the apartment complex, the management company and any other party that was responsible for your fall.

Answer By Lawrence Adler
Adler Law Group, LLC

You have a claim only if your landlord's negligence caused the fall.

Answer By Jared Altman

You can sue if someone was at fault or if you were engaged in construction, renovation or repair you can sue the owner and possibly others.

Answer By Steven Fairlie
Fairlie & Lippy, P.C.

You can file a claim against the apartment complex. Was it their fault that you slipped? Were they negligent?