What can I do about my ex girlfriend's belongings in a storage unit? - Landlord and Tenants Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

Free Answers to your Legal Questions by Lawyers.
ask »

What can I do about my ex girlfriend's belongings in a storage unit?

My ex girlfriend (who lived with me) and I broke up well over 6 months ago, she tried a number of times to get out on her own, but month after month she could not do it (laid off, etc). She met another man in another state with whom she moved in with, but she left all her stuff in my house for me to move to storage. I paid for all the moving expenses, opened up the unit in my name. Now I'm having trouble getting her to sign for the storage unit. I'm afraid I'm going to keep paying the $200/month. What are my options here? I want to stop paying, as I spent enough on this person. But she keeps asking me for this and that out of the unit, and I'm ready to say, sign it over to you, I'll give you the keys and we are done. Surely I have no obligation to keep paying for the unit? What are my options? If I just stop paying, the unit is in my name, so it could hurt my credit? Although I paid in cash partly because I didn't want to give my credit card info to the storage place. I fear I may keep paying for the storage unit for some time to come, otherwise I wouldn't worry.

Stuart P Gelberg
Contact this Attorney Now

Your deal with the storage co is your deal. You are liable till the end of the lease. Give the ex written notice that she has to remove her stuff or you will throw it out/donate it etc.

Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 2/14/2014

Answer By James T. Weiner
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C.
Contact this Attorney Now

Tell her that you consider that she has abandoned her stuff by not coming and picking it up. if she does not come and get it all .. sell it or abandon it. Talk to the owner/manager of the storage place and see if they will auction it off for unpaid fees if you stop paying.

Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 2/14/2014

Peters Law, PLLC
Contact this Attorney Now

I would send her a letter with the keys telling her that you have paid one (more) month's rent and after March 31, 2014 the obligation to pay rent on the place is hers and if she doesn't do it, she may lose her possessions when the contents are sold.

Answer Applies to: Idaho
Replied: 2/14/2014

Answer By Ronald D. Dessy

Contact this Attorney Now

Legal technicalities aside, the simplest approach might be to ship everything to the x-girl friend. Legally, you could send her a 30 day notice of terms of the storage rental, stating that "Commencing 35 days after the date/mailing of the notice, there would be a monthly rent charge of $200.00, and that the failure to pay the rent could result in the contents of the storage unit being sold at a public auction, with proceeds being used to pay past due rent, and the balance being forwarded to the owner." It is not quite as simple as stated, but that is a shorthand summary of the actual procedure.

Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/14/2014

© 2017 MH Sub I, LLC. All rights reserved.
Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy | IB Cookie Policy