What can a Drug Loitering charge be reduced to? - Criminal Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

What can a Drug Loitering charge be reduced to?

I recently was pulled over. I guess the place that they saw me prior was being watched- a 24-hour store parking lot. I gave the permission to search. They didn’t find the substance, but did find a scale, which was in the trash bag. They ended up giving me a drug loitering charge. I have no drug related charges. I only have traffic violations. I work in the medical field and hoping they will drop it to a loitering or anything that takes the word drug out of it. I don’t have too much to spend on an attorney other than public counsel, if getting this dropped means I have to get an excellent expensive attorney I will. My career depends on it.

Answer By James M. Osak
James M. Osak, P.C.

See what happens when you cooperate with the cops (by "letting them search?")? You'll need an expensive attorney now. NEXT TIME tell them "NO."

Law & Mediation Office of Jeffrey L. Pollock, Esq.

What section of the Crimes Code is a supposed "Drug Loitering" as opposed to regular Loitering (an M3)?

Answer By Robert J. Shane
Shane Law Office

You may be eligible for a diversion program to keep the conviction off your record.

Answer By Michael Palumbo

The quality of your attorney certainly does make a difference in the ultimate outcome.

It depends upon your attorney and the prosecutor.

Answer By John Carney

You should not plead to anything, especially a misdemeanor. It is not illegal to have a scale unless it has drug residue. Some people are so clueless that they not only consent to a search, they admit that they use the scale for drugs, and that makes it paraphernalia. I do not know why so many people give up their constitutional rights and allow the police to search their vehicle, especially if they know or think there might be contraband in the vehicle. You should retain a good criminal lawyer to try to get an ACD or other dismissal or a violation or you will have a criminal record forever and it will be very hard to get a decent job. I do not know what charge you were given or what state you are in so I cannot tell you if you are guilty of "loitering" but that is a very vague charge and they cannot prove it unless you made some admissions or told them something abut drugs.

The Rogers Law Firm

Ask the judge to appoint a public defender, or call the public defender's office on your own to ask if you can apply for assistance. If you don't qualify, then hire an attorney on your own. Depending on which court this is in, if the charge was for misdemeanor drug paraphernalia possession and you have no prior drug-related convictions, then it's very likely that your attorney can get the charge reduced to "Littering" and you will just have to pay a fine. Of course, this all depends on which court this is in.

Answer By Mace Yampolsky
Mace J. Yampolsky, LTD

Some sort of non- drug offense such as trespassing or disorderly conduct. Depending on the facts, you may be able to get it dismissed.

Answer By Craig Andersen

You might get the prosecutor to agree to a disorderly conduct.

Answer By Richard Peacock

In SC, there are a lot of situation specific facts which you should discuss with an attorney regarding this situation and the charge(s) being brought against you. You should consult with a local attorney regarding this matter.