What is the best way to find a reliable bankruptcy attorney? - Bankruptcy Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

What is the best way to find a reliable bankruptcy attorney?

What's the best way to find a good successful bankruptcy lawyer?

Answer By Alan D. Walton
Breckenridge and Walton

Go to www.nacba.org and search their list of members.

You can find one through referrals or check out online.

Answer By Kevin Heupel
Heupel Law

The number of cases that an attorney files is a good indicator of success. It means that the attorney has experience with filing bankruptcy. Another indicator is credentials and referrals. And finally, the most important is whether you feel comfortable with the attorney. Bankruptcy is a personal issue and it's important to find someone who makes you feel at ease.

Answer By Stephen Trezza
AZ Law Group of Trezza & Associates

Interview the three and then follow your instincts.

Law Office of John C. Farrell, Jr.

I would start with asking friends or family. There are also networks of bankruptcy attorneys you can call.

Answer By Janet Lawson

Anyone with less than 4 years experience may have just jumped on the bandwagon when filing zoomed out sight. What percentage of their practice is bankruptcy? If a lawyer does civil, criminal, bankruptcies, ect.... what have they dedicated themselves to being good at? Lastly, do they only do chapter 7 bankruptcies? If they only do Chapter 7's then they only have one solution to your problems.

Florio Law Firm, PLLC

The internet, phone book or word of mouth are all great ways to find an attorney. Most Bankruptcy Attorneys offer free consultations, with no obligation to sign up. If you are looking, I would suggest scheduling an initial consult with an attorney in your area that states that they handle bankruptcy, and ask questions. The more information you find out the more equipped to decide whether your attorney is right for you. Any attorney who is licensed to practice in the state of Texas is capable of filing a Bankruptcy. However, you should try to find an attorney who is knowledgeable in the area of Bankruptcy specifically, and make an appointment to discuss your situation.

Answer By Eric Lewis

The best way to find a reliable bankruptcy attorney is to do your homework. You want to find an office where you will not be just another name on the file - avoid the "bankruptcy mills" or "bankruptcy factories" which boast that they churn out thousands of bankrutpcy filings a year (I know one that boasts that they file 1,000 cases a month). Experience means actual bankruptcy practice, not gray hair. An attorney practicing divorce for 30 years doesn't know as much bankruptcy as a bankruptcy attorney who has only practice two years. Also, call around on prices. You'll find that prices are all over the place because some rip you off, some have super-high overhead expenses, and the cheapest of the cheap will give you the same in quality of work - cheap.

Answer By Dan Wilson
Dan Wilson Bankruptcy

Good question! In Denver we are fortunate to have a great BK bar. Do you know anyone who has had a recent bankruptcy? Ask them for a referral. If not, interview a few attorneys. Ask them about experience. Check with the Supreme Court to see if there are any complaints about them. One of the most important things is not go with the lowest fee quoted. Selecting an attorney is not like buying a loaf of bread. When interviewing, go with your gut. Ask lots of questions. If answers are vague, move on. Personally, I would go with a firm where I talk to the attorney who will handle my case rather than a BK mill where your contact is with a paralegal. Check out the attorney's web-site.

Law Office of Lynnmarie A. Johnson

Ask friends and relatives for people that they have gone to and how happy they were with the attorney, their response time, calls back, etc. You will be surprised how many people have been through bankruptcy or have good friends who have. Word of mouth is much better than blindly picking out of the telephone book! Good luck!