What are my chances of winning a DUI case? - DUI Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

What are my chances of winning a DUI case?

I was caught drunk driving. I am worried that I will be found guilty of this charge. I have not done anything against the law before. What are my chances of winning this case if I hire a good lawyer? Do you have any pointers on how to get a really good lawyer to help me out?

Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC

With any criminal charge, I strongly urge you to get a lawyer. There can be long-term consequences and you are presumed innocent until proven guilty. Simply because a person is charged does not mean that they are guilty of any offense. The prosecutor must prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. You have a right to legal counsel and should not be afraid to exercise your rights. An experienced OUI attorney would have the knowledge to answer your specific questions once they review your file in more detail and see the prosecutor's potential proofs.

Answer By Gregory Casale
Gregory Casale Attorney at Law

Do your research and ask others about who they used.

You should just call attorneys until you find one who you are comfortable with. The facts of your case will determine whether you have a winnable case. Your attorney should be able to advise you if there are facts that are favorable to you.

You have little chance of success without an attorney to assist you. There are many ways that an attorney may be able to help you to prevent you from being arrested and perhaps you should consider consulting with an attorney.

Law Office of Brian K. Wanerman

That depends on the circumstances of the case and the charge. There are many ways to attack a DUI charge. However, the odds are against you. Most DUI cases end in convictions. You should consult an attorney who can evaluate your options and advise you of your chances of successfully defending your case based on the specific details.

Answer By Steve Freeborn

Not knowing the particular facts of your case, I have no way of knowing what your chances are of winning. You need to hire an attorney. How to find a good one? Interview a few attorneys who practice in this area. Ask questions. You might ask friends or people you know who have had to hire an attorney. You may also visit the court in which you are charged and watch attorneys in action.

Answer By John Toivonen

Most significantly you want a criminal defense attorney. Do not hire your family's estate attorney because he is willing to give you a special deal. You need someone who serves clients who are charged with crimes. It can help a great deal if the attorney regularly practices in the courts of the county where you are charged. Ask the attorney about his criminal defense experience, and his representation in intoxicated driving cases. As to how likely you are to win your case, there are several factors. They include but are not limited to BAC level, police testimony about your driving, police observations of your speech, and the results of the field sobriety test. A good criminal defense attorney will look very closely at the tests administered by officers. If the officer had you perform the heel to toe test in a dark area, with uneven pavement, a good criminal defense attorney will point out to to the judge or jury that this is not a fair test. Even a world class athlete who is sober could fail this test in these conditions. Attention to detail is crucial in intoxicated driving cases.

DUI?s are defensible. The chance of winning and the cost in money to you for that defense depends on the facts. The best way to find a good DUI attorney is to have several free consultations that are offered. During that consultation you can provide your side of the facts. With that information the attorney should tell you if you need a DUI lab expert or not.

Answer By Thomas J. Tomko

You need two things in choosing an attorney. First, the attorney has to be familiar with this type of case in the Court where your case is. Second, you need to be comfortable with the attorney, including the payment of the fees. With these two things, that is the attorney you should hire. Each case turns on the facts in the case. It is impossible to tell whether your case is one for a plea, motions, a trial, or even a dismissal, unless and until all the facts are investigated. If your case is in Macomb, Oakland or Wayne Counties, you may call my office for an appointment.

Answer By G. Wayne Hynum
Hynum Law Office, LLC

I cannot tell you what the chances are of winning your DUI case without knowing all the facts regarding your arrest. As for how to find a good lawyer, I suggest you ask around and talk to people who have used different lawyers on DUI cases and see if they were happy with the lawyer's representation or not. If you know a lawyer who does not do DUI work he might be able to recommend someone he knows that does good work in that area. If you know anyone in law enforcement they usually know who the good DUI attorneys are. Of course, you can also look at the ads in the Yellow Pages, but all that really tells you is that the lawyer has money to spend on advertising. A lawyer's web site will generally give you more information than a Yellow Pages ad, but you still don't know how good he is without talking to people who are familiar with his work.