What are the chances of my ex husband getting joint custody of our two children? - Child Custody Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

What are the chances of my ex husband getting joint custody of our two children?

I am getting a divorce and my husband wants joint custody of our 2 small children. I do not feel comfortable letting my children spend more time than necessary with him. He has never changed a diaper, fed them a meal, put them to bed, etc. He doesn't know what it takes to care for a child. He does have custody of a child he had out of wedlock five years ago, but I believe he only got custody because we were married and the mother of the five year old couldn't hold down a job and moved around a lot. Me and the kids are temporarily living with my parents until I can get a job and get our own place. My soon to be ex husband has a girlfriend already and she has a 3 year old son. I do not want my kids involved in this mixed-up, confusing situation that my husband has put us in. I wanted to work this out with him and have tried to get him to go to counseling but he would rather have his girlfriend. What chance does he have to get joint custody?

Answer By Riana Durrett

The family court looks at the best interest of the children, which include many factors, as enumerated uner NRS 125B. It is typically presumed that custody should be joint, so you will need to be prepared to show the judge why he should award primary custody. An attorney can assist you in preparing evidence and understanding which facts would be important to the judge.

Answer By Roy L. Reeves

There is absolutely no way any lawyer who knows anything about family law can answer your question. I apologize if that sounds blunt, but you are asking for a quantitative analysis of your case based on your opinion and observations on a few very limited matters with no input on the dynamics of the relationship between you and him, him and the kids, the kids themselves, or the ages of the kids (define "small"). That said, first, you need to know your "feelings" on the matter are not evidence, so please be careful with that phrase. The fact he is a "father" not a "daddy" has a lot of bearing in my book, but your Judge may or may not see it the way I do (FYI - I put my daughter to bed every night, I changed her first diaper and my wife will readily admit I changed 40% of the diapers that needed changing when I was home - I can't leave the office just to change a diaper, I got up in the night and handled the midnight feeding, now that she is in elementary school, I take her to school every morning, I feed her breakfast every morning and I am the one she runs to when she falls and scrapes a knee or something like that - this is what I call being a Daddy and in my book it matters). The question is will your husband claim he does these things? Or will he admit he does not? Will the Judge think it is significant or will the Judge excuse it as a division of labor? "Division of Labor" is a term I use, it is not a legal term, and it refers to the division of duties and responsibilities between a husband and wife, particularly when one is a stay at home parent, he or she becomes responsible for running the household, cooking, cleaning, child rearing, etc while the other parent earns income. As for the new paramour . . . that too is a factor that plays into this in multiple ways, not the least of which is what is the Judge's personal opinion on the matter? If the Judge is old fashioned - then it matters a lot, if the Judge is not so old fashioned, how much does he flaunt the girlfriend around will likely have affect on the case, discretion is important in almost every endeavor, particularly here.

Answer By Richard Goolsby

We recommend you retain a lawyer to discuss all your rights and options as soon as possible. WHile no one can predict what a judge might do, it sounds like you have some good arguments and evidence to discuss with your attorney. Good luck.

Answer By Paul A. Eads
Law Offices of Paul A. Eads, A.P.C.

You can always insist that he take a parenting class.

Here is some information about custody: Joint legal custody is preferred in CT - that is when both parents consult and agree about major issues like health education and religion. Residence is physical custody. The overriding principle is the children's best interests. Hopefully you and he will be able to reach a compromise that will be the best for the children.

Horizons Law Group, LLC

Mediation might be a good option to work through all of these issues in your divorce. Custody is typically joint, it is the placement schedule that is important. In Wisconsin, many factors are considered. Using mediation as the way to proceed through your divorce, or at least a child specialist to help map out a parenting agreement, is highly recommended.

ROWE LAW FIRM

Your husband has a good chance of gaining joint custody of your children, as it is presumed to be in the children's best interest in the state of Louisiana. Even fathers who have been fairly reluctant in the past are often given a new chance when a divorce occurs, especially where they come forward and fight for custody. You should consult with an attorney immediately.

Petit & Dommershausen SC

The presumption is joint custody unless there is a health or safety risk for not having joint custody. As for placement, the statutes require maximizing placement with both parents so it is likely that you will end up with a shared placement situation.

Michael D. Fluke, P.A.

He always has a chance. There are many factors that go into the court's decision regarding time sharing. I suggest you consult and experienced Family Law attorney to discuss your case in greater detail and learn all of your rights and options.

Law Office of Patricia Van Haren

California courts will look at many factors in determining custody. The goal of the courts is that each parent have frequent and continuing contact with the children. Courts will look at which parent is more likely to facilitate a relationship with the other parent when determining custody. If you have concerns about his parenting, you may present those issues to the court. He may be required to take a parenting class. You should probably retain an attorney so that you can present a clear argument to the court. In the long run, however your ex husband may end up having joint custody of the children if the court deems that it is in their best interests.