Should I sue my childs school for personal injury because he was burnt? - Accident Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

Should I sue my childs school for personal injury because he was burnt?

Should I sue my child’s school? He had access to hot water and after he poured the hot water on his noodles the overflow burnt his hands. Why does any child have unsupervised access to hot water? His hand got burnt. Do I have a case?

Answer By Lacy Fields
Lacy Fields, Attorney at Law, LLC

It depends on how old your child is. If your child is old enough to understand the risk involved, then your child will have some comparative fault. It also depends on how bad the burn was. If he required medical treatment worth $10,000, then even if the school is only 10% at fault, that's still $1,000 they should be responsible for. If you have further questions please feel free to contact my office.

Can you protect a child against everything? Do you expect the school to put an envelope around him? I really don't know about claiming. You did not say how serious the burns were, what your bills are or what the drs say about all this. Want to give me more info about damage please. A minor 1st degree burn, nothing further , would not be worth pursuing, serious third degree b urns, scarring, etc might make a difference . also to know whether other kids have had problems before so that the school might be on notice that the water was too hot.

Law Office of Travis Prestwich, PC

There are many factors to consider, e.g. the age of your child, the number of students, the particular conditions of the day, the severity of his injuries, etc. Without knowing more details it would be difficult, if not impossible, to tell you where you had a case. I suggest speaking to a lawyer as soon as possible.

Consult with a personal injury lawyer to see if they will take the case. It sounds like there is liability, but it will depend upon the level of injury and whether there was medical treatment and/or scarring that will decide. Let an attorney see the injury right away and give you some feedback. Good luck.

Depending on the circumstances, the individuals who were supposed to be monitoring may be entitled to qualified immunity. Ultimately, the extent and duration is what the jury is to consider by way of deciding the amount of damages. You have time to see what happens, thought. A child's statute of limitations is tolled during the child's minority. Stay well.

Gerald C. Barton

It is quite possible that you do have a valid case, however, additional facts are needed in order to verify the claim. Specifically, a school acts "in loco parentis", in the place of parents, while the child is in the school's custody. During that period of time the school's staff and administration must act the way a reasonable parent would in supervising the student. There are numerous factors that a jury and judge can weigh in determining whether the school met this standard in making hot water available to the student. I would be happy to discuss these factors with you so that a determination could be made if the school breaches its duty to act in a reasonable fashion.

Answer By David Hoines
David Hoines Law

Maybe how old? how bad is the burn? Medical expenses?

McEldrew Law

The simple answer to your question is it depends. How old is your son ? What type of school does he attend? If it is a public school there are immunity issues that need to be considered .Lack of supervision is not a viable cause of action against a school district in Pa. Of course as it all case the devil is in the details and you should discuss this with a Knowledgeable attorney.

Answer By Barry Rabovsky
Barry Rabovsky & Associates

You may have a case, based upon the information that you have supplied.

Answer By Patrick M Lamar
Patrick M Lamar Attorney

In all likelihood the teachers and school system are immune from tort suit unless they were a private school.