Is there a statute of limitations for domestic battery? - Criminal Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

Is there a statute of limitations for domestic battery?

Yes, but I would need to know exactly what penal law section is being charged as this is not a term in the penal law. The term is assault.

Answer By Matthew McHenry
Levine & McHenry LLC

Yes. How long depends on the severity of the crime. In Oregon, the statute of limitations for misdemeanors is 2 years. For felonies, it is three years.

In Alabama there would be a one year statute of limitations for a misdemeanor domestic violence charge and a three year statute for a felony offense.

Anderson Walsh PLLC

The state has one year to file a misdemeanor domestic battery charge, and up to five years to file a felony domestic battery charge.

The McDonnell Law Firm, PLLC

Depends what you mean by domestic battery. There's no such crime in the NYS Penal Law. If you're talking about a misdemeanor assault, the statute of limitations is 2 years. If the offense is a felony, the statute of limitations is 5 years.

One year for a misdemeanor three for a felony measured from commission of offense to issuance of an arrest warrant.

The charge you are asking about can be a felony or a misdemeanor. If it meets the level to be charged as a felony then the state has three years. If it is at misdemeanor level then it would be one year. Normally if the state was going to press charges it will happen within three months.

Law Office of James A Schoenberger

Yes, I believe it is six years.

If charged with a misdemeanor domestic battery, here in Illinois, the authorities have 18 months to file charges, if the matter is aggravated domestic battery, the statute of limitations is 3 years after the offense occurred.

Answer By Thomas J. Tomko

Thank you for your inquiry With most criminal offenses, there is a statute of limitations. However, some capital offenses have no statute of limitations. It will depend on the jurisdiction where you are charged as to what statute of limitations will apply. Also, the statute of limitations could be extended in some circumstances depending on the circumstances. You should discuss your case with the attorney you hire to get the details of what statute of limitations may apply in your case. I hope that this was helpful.