Is there any way to get a Federal record sealed - Criminal Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

Is there any way to get a Federal record sealed

Is there anyway to get a Federal record sealed? I have been told it can be done by writing the sentencing judge? I was only 18 when I went to federal prison.

Answer By Jared Austin

The courts seem to use the term sealed and expunged interchangeably. I would advise you to seek out an experienced federal attorney who does a lot of these types of cases. Federal case law is inconsistent and contradictory in determining the criteria, eligibility, and methods for granting expungements for federal records. It can get complicated.

Answer By Jared Altman

I am not an expert in this field.

What you are describing is an expungement. Federal law allows for expungement of certain crimes after a period of time. You should consult with an attorney experienced in federal law. F

In general you can apply to have the record sealed and under the right circumstances even expunged. You should hire an attorney to do this for you.

Law Office of Roianne H. Conner

There is currently no law in either the Federal or the State system that would allow an expungement of a criminal record.

Answer By Craig Elhart

Generally, a criminal record is a public record. To get a record "sealed" you would need some strong reason other than I don't want it a public record. Instead of trying to "seal" the record, you may wish to research the possibility of asking the court for an expungement.

Answer By John Carney

A conviction is on your record forever unless you got Youthful Offender Treatment or the record was sealed originally.

Frances R. Johnson

Consult an attorney who practices "federal criminal defense" in the state where your record is.

Answer By David Goldman
Apple Law Firm PLLC

Unfortunately because there is no funding for this, the only option is a Presidential Pardon.