Is it required to have a credit report ready before I file for bankruptcy? - Bankruptcy Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

Is it required to have a credit report ready before I file for bankruptcy?

I want to file for bankruptcy and was told to prepare my credit report beforehand. Is this necessary? Is it possible to have someone do that for me?

Answer By Andrew Harris
Law Office of Andrew Harris

Although it is not necessary to run your credit report, it is a good idea. Credit reports can often reflect creditors or collections your not aware of or have forgotten about. There are websites available that allow you to pull your credit, however it's best to have your bankruptcy attorney assist you with this. Be aware that there may be a charge for this service.

Answer By Alan D. Walton
Breckenridge and Walton

Included in my fee is a credit report from a service that goes to more than one supplier. I usually use this to cross check your personal records, and to catch any creditor that may have shown up at the last minute.

Answer By Paul Stuber
Paul Stuber, Attorney at Law

In my practice I can run a credit report for my clients to aid in getting the petition together. It is important to have all of your debts listed in the bankruptcy. The other thing to keep in mind is that not all of your debts might be listed in the credit report. You will have to go through all of your records to make sure all are listed.

Answer By Dan Wilson
Dan Wilson Bankruptcy

You need a credit report. You are entitled to a free report from each of the three major agencies once a year.

It helps your attorney get the information he or she will need, you can get a free one once a year on annualcreditreport.com.

Answer By Joseph W. Lehn
Lehn Law, PA

In order to have the debt dishcarged, the creditor needs to be listed on your bankruptcy petition. You can make a list of your creditors based on the bills you have received. You may also want to pull your credit report. However, please keep in mind that your credit report may not be all inclusive. Therefore, you should still review the report and include any creditors that may not be listed there.

Answer By Lehn Law, PA
Joseph Lehn, Esq

In order to have the debt discharged, the creditor needs to be listed on your bankrutpcy petition. You can make a list of your creditors based on the bills you have received. You may also want to pull your credit report. However, please keep in mind that your credit report may not be all inclusive. Therefore, you should still review the report and include any creditors that may not be listed there.

Answer By Eric Benzer
Eric J. Benzer, Attorney at Law

Answer By Marvin Wolf
The Law Office of Marvin Wolf

A credit report is useful to find out who says you owe them money. It does not list all debts, but is a useful guide. Since debts are sold, it can help find who currently owns a debt. You can pay to have someone do it for you, or order your own for free from the credit bureaus. The internet lists the phone numbers to get the report for free. You do not have to buy credit score reporting or other services.

Grasso Law Group

Your credit report is used to make sure that all your reported debts are included in the bankruptcy petition. If you are having an attorney prepare your petition, then they should be able to help you with the credit report.