Is it legal for a landlord to charge me with the whole building's electric bill? - Landlord and Tenants Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

Is it legal for a landlord to charge me with the whole building's electric bill?

I have the electric in my name and the apartment I'm in is charging me for the rest of the building’s electric bill. The landlord told me my rent will go up from month to month.

Harper Law Offices, Inc. P.S.

Typically power is either individually metered, or based on a percentage. You do not occupy the entire building, so you should not be responsible for the entire building's power usage. I would think that other tenants would be responsible for their share as well.

Answer By James T. Weiner
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C.

Yes its legal if you agreed to it in a lease.. However if you have a month to month lease you can move with 30 days notice.

Law Office of Mary Louise Boelcke

No, this is not legal. You should only have to pay for your electric, unless you signed on for this in the lease. If you do pay for it up front, then you should at least get reimbursed for the part that is not yours.

Answer Applies to: New Mexico

Answer By George H. Shers

You should not be paying for the entire building but I do not understand why just you would be billed if there are other units there. Are you the only unit and are objecting to outside electrical billings? Who pays is a matter of what the rental contract says. The landlord needs to give you thirty days written notice to change any part of the contract, including? the amount of rent that you pay.

Stuart P Gelberg

What did your lease say? If the bill is not in your name and the lease didn't require you to pay it, why is the landlord asking you pay it? If there was never a lease, why are you being asked to pay it now? The landlord can raise your rent on 30 days notice in a month to month.

Answer By Ernest DuBose
Ernest DuBose

It is very illegal for a landlord to force a tenant to pay for a electricity. But a landlord can increase rents on a month to month.

Answer By Richard Winkler

What does your lease say?

No. You should talk to a lawyer and put a stop to that nonsense.