Is filing bankruptcy my best legal option to help with bills? - Bankruptcy Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

Is filing bankruptcy my best legal option to help with bills?

If I'm on total disability, can I get out of paying bills?

Answer By Eric Benzer
Eric J. Benzer, Attorney at Law

Perhaps it is the best option. You should hire a lawyer.

Answer By Stephen Trezza
AZ Law Group of Trezza & Associates

Your probably judgement proof. Take advantage of a free consultation with an attorney.

Answer By Kevin Heupel
Heupel Law

You cannot get out of paying your bills just because you are on disability. You might look at filing bankruptcy given that you need all of your income to pay your living expenses.

Answer By Bill Zurinskas
Bankruptcy Law Center

Bankruptcy may be your best option to deal with overwhelming debt, but you should get a free consultation with an experienced bankruptcy attorney to see if you are "judgment proof".

Answer By Dan Wilson
Dan Wilson Bankruptcy

You can file Bankruptcy to discharge debt, but of course you must pay on going expenses.

When on a limited income with too many bills, bankruptcy often is a good option, but not always. That depends on the details. A consultation with a bankruptcy lawyer is very inexpensive and is the only way to know.

Answer By Eric Lewis

Bankruptcy may be a good solution to getting rid of the bills you can't afford to pay.

Law Offices of Robert P. Taylor

We'd need to know more to tell you if filing Bk is your best option. Could be that you're judgment proof and doing nothing might be a better option. Get a free consultation with an experienced bankruptcy attorney. Inexperienced or new attorneys tend to need business and sometimes that effects their objectivity. Good luck!

Answer By David C. Ayer
AyerHoffman, LLP

If the entirety of your income is disability (SSDI), your income is "collection proof." Your creditors may sue you for what you owe and win a judgment against, but they cannot force a collection of this income. A bankruptcy will stop them from bothering you and allow you to repair your credit. There are also many debt consolidation firms which may be able to help you get onto a manageable repayment plan with your creditors. you should consult a debt resolution or bankruptcy attorney to discuss these options.

Theodore N. Stapleton, PC

You probably qualify for filing a chapter 7 and discharging your bills. I am happy to discuss these issues with you. Please call to schedule a free consultation.