Are my credit cards included in my Chapter 7 filing? - Bankruptcy Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

Are my credit cards included in my Chapter 7 filing?

I had file for bankruptcy chapter 7 and I went to the 341 meeting. I didn't include one of the credit cards on my filing but in my credit report appears as included and when I called the credit card, they told me I can pay them if I want to. Does this means that it was included or not?

You need to get in contact with your attorney, and have the creditor added in on your amended schedules. That creditor must be added for your debt to be discharged with the others.

Answer By David VanDyke
Bird & VanDyke, Inc.

Probably. I would amend your Schedule F and add them to be sure.

Answer By J.M. Cook

Whether you included the debt on the petition, it can be discharged if the company had actual notice of the bankruptcy. If you haven't received your discharge yet, it is a good time to amend your schedules to include all debts from before you filed.

Law Office of Lynnmarie A. Johnson

If it says that it was discharged in the bankruptcy, then you should be all set. Of course they are going to tell you that you can them if YOU want to.

Answer By Janice Alfred
Alfred Law Firm

If it was not included in your filing, it will not be discharged; and therefore, you will still be responsible for it after your bankruptcy discharge. You can simply amend the petition to include the debt prior to your case being discharged.

Answer By Dan Wilson
Dan Wilson Bankruptcy

Why didn't you list the creditor in your BK schedules? When you signed your petition and verification of schedules you were stating under oath, at penalty of perjury, that the information was complete and accurate. You also stated the same thing under oath at the 341 hearing when questioned by the trustee. If your case has not yet closed you can amend Schedule F to include the omitted creditor. If your case was a no-asset case the debt is discharged even though you did not list the creditor. Why would you pay them? Creditors routinely get notice of Bankruptcy filings. I suspect your creditor regards your debt as discharged even though you failed to list it.

Answer By David Leibowitz
Lakelaw - Loop Bankruptcy

All debts, including all credit cards are "included" in bankruptcy. And almost all credit cards are terminated on filing bankruptcy - credit cards are ongoing agreements to lend money - in bankruptcy terms a "financial accommodation". The lender can cancel such financial accommodations on your filing bankruptcy and these days, do so almost universally. However, it might be possible to acquire secured credit in the form of a credit card after your bankruptcy, which for many people is a good way to start rebuilding credit. In general, I recommend use of debit cards by people after bankruptcy.

Answer By Kevin Heupel
Heupel Law

All credit cards get discharged. You cannot pick and choose which cards you want to keep. Your credit card companies pull the bankruptcy filings every day, and if they see you filed, then they cancel all cards regardless if you listed them in your bankruptcy or not. As a result, I wouldn't pay the credit card. You would only be wasting your money.

Answer By Susan G. Taylor
Law Office of Susan G. Taylor

In a "no-asset" chapter 7, if an unsecured, non-priority debt occurred before filing & is dischargeable, it IS dischargedwhether or not it was listed. Case law has developed on the theory the creditor was not harmed by lack of notice since there were no assets to distribute.

Answer By Eric Lewis

All credit cards are included in bankruptcy.