If you went to jail but the charges were dropped, can I become a police officer? - Criminal Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

If you went to jail but the charges were dropped, can I become a police officer?

So I'm asking if I was tooling to jail and went to court but they said the case is dismissed meaning (dropped) would it still be on my record? I want to become a police officer but online it says can't be convicted of a crime. So would me getting arrested and going to court affect me getting the okay to become a police officer? I hope not because I really would like to become a police officer.

Answer By Robert Scott

If you don't have any convictions, it should not preclude you from becoming a police officer.

All police departments have different screening/eligibility requirements. If the case was dropped, then you were not convicted and it should not be an obstacle.

Answer By B. Elaine Jones
The Law Office of B. Elaine Jones

Dear Sir/Madam - It shouldn't be a problem if you were not convicted.

Answer By John J. Carney
The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq.

If the case was dismissed and sealed you can apply to become a police officer. You should improve your vocabulary, reading skills, and learn about law enforcement so that you will pass the tests and do well in the application process.

I would need further information to answer better. When you say you went to jail was that after a conviction and you were sentenced to jail or were you held in jail pending the outcome of the case and then the charges were dropped without you getting convicted? You should hire an attorney and disclose all the facts and circumstances.

It is convictions that count, not arrests.

Answer By Robert Giannini
Giannini Law Office, PC

If the charges were dropped than you should still be eligible to become a police officer.

If the charges were dropped, then you were not convicted of a crime. Therefore your arrest should not prevent you from becoming a police officer.

If it was dismissed then you have no criminal record. You may want to expunge the arrest though just to clearnet Your record.

Answer By Nixon Ayeni

It depends on the department internal hiring practice, however get a lawyer to see if expunging your file might be helpful