If you are in the course of shoplifting a can a loss prevention officer physically detain you? - Criminal Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

If you are in the course of shoplifting a can a loss prevention officer physically detain you?

I want to know if I have grounds to sew best buy for ripping me down the hoody while I was shoplifting laptops.

Yes they can restrain and arrest you. There is a law that lets them do that.

Answer By John J. Carney
The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq.

You were committing a crime and loss prevention had the right to arrest you. It is hard to believe that you want to know if you can sue a store for arresting you. If you resist arrest they can use as much force as necessary to detain you. You should make better decisions in the future or you will not have one. If it is a first defense it will probably be dismissed, but if you have a prior criminal record you are looking at jail time and a criminal record, all for a few dollars worth of stuff you did not really need.

The Rogers Law Firm

Loss prevention officers can physically detain you if they catch you in the act of shoplifting. Anyone can sue anyone for anything, but it doesn't sound like you have grounds for a lawsuit.

You want to sew Best Buy. You are a joke. You have no rights IF you are caught shoplfting. Second, no jury is going to give a thief money, when the thief is the reason the jury is paying higher prices for everything.

Answer By James Smith
Law Office of James E. Smith

Yes by statute

Yes, a loss officer may detain you.

Answer By Sally Hamblin

Yes, loss prevention can detain you until police arrive. They have right to stop to you in the course of stealing.

Yes he can. No you can't.

You want to sue Best Buy for detaining you while you were in the process of ripping the store off.

You got to be kidding, aren't you? Of course they can nab you red handed!