If I was charged with a crime but wasn't indicted and it did not go to trial, will employers see this on my record? - Criminal Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

If I was charged with a crime but wasn't indicted and it did not go to trial, will employers see this on my record?

If so how can I get this removed?

Answer By Maurice Ross

If the charges were dropped, then your record theoretically should be sealed. This is supposed to be automatic but in the real world it doesn't always work that way. Thus, sometimes you need to file a petition to seal the record (which requires retention of legal counsel). And here is the worst part-arrest records are public for some period of time even in cases where charges are dismissed. There are private companies who make it their business to collect such information and then use it to perform background checks. The reason this information is available is that our First Amendment values allow people to have access to public records, such as court records. Thus, even after your file is sealed, it is quite possible that an arrest will show up in a background check. Think about it this way when a famous person is arrested, the arrest is often reported in the newspapers. Even if the charges are dismissed and the official file is sealed, the news articles reporting the arrest will be available on line. A simple Google search will uncover information like this. Thus, there is no perfect way to suppress arrest records even for those who are innocent.

You probably have an arrest record, which needs to be expunged or sealed. I would advise you to check with the clerk of court, and if your case was dismissed without a permanent conviction, file a petition to expunge the arrest from your record. If you were convicted, you may still be able to have the case sealed.

The Cross Firm, P.C.

Yes it will appear on your record. You should hire an attorney to see if you qualify to get the charges expunged.

Answer By Cynthia Henley
Cynthia Henley, Lawyer

Yes, they can see it. You need to hire a lawyer to expunge the record.

They will see it on your record.

Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan

It may appear as an arrest but that should not be used against you.

You should consider retaining an attorney to assist in expunging your record.

They should now see it, since it is not a conviction.

Answer By Thomas E. Gates

You need to expunge your record. Contact the court clerk for the form.

The Lariscy Law Firm, PC

If the charge was dismissed, it may be eligible to have it expunged. Anything you were every charged with will be on your criminal history, no matter the outcome. Obtain a copy of your criminal history report and contact a local expungement attorney.