Can someone be forced to take a paternity test? - Child Custody Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

Can someone be forced to take a paternity test?

Could my parents force my boyfriend to take a paternity test? I'm a minor, he is not. Or is it up to me whether or not he has to take one since since am the mother?

It is unlikely that your parents can force your boyfriend to take a Paternity Test. Only if they are appointed your Guardian ad Litem, can they file a Motion in a Paternity case for an order requiring you to take a Paternity Test. Your boyfriend faces a risk of criminal prosecution for having sex with a minor, so even if he is ordered to take a Paternity Test, he won't go to jail for not taking the test - instead, the Family Law Court will find that he is the father... but that finding cannot be used in a criminal case against your boyfriend.

Answer By Maury Beaulier

No, your parents may not force any person to take a paternity test. A Court may do so once a paternity case has been filed and, if there is no cooperation, may find the person in contempt and/or make inferences contrary to their legal position in the case.

Answer By Jay W. Neff
Law Office of Michael W. Bugni

I don't think that your parents have any particular power to force a paternity test. However, the court does. If a paternity action is filed, the court can order paternity testing. Someone who refused to follow the order could be in contempt.

Petit & Dommershausen SC

Yes, the state can force your boyfriend to take a paternity test if you are getting any kind of services or for criminal proceedings if the State wants to pursue criminal charges for him having sex with a minor. It is likely your parents can go after him for child support for the baby (as you are a minor) and then the court will have him do a paternity test.

AyerHoffman, LLP

Your parents certainly cannot force him. However, you can try to obtain a court order ordering him to take a DNA test to determine paternity.

Answer By Steven Dunnings

If they get a court order.

Yes, a person can be ordered by a court of proper jurisdiction to submit to a paternity test. And, no, it will be up to a judge who is charged with reviewing the issue (if it should ever come before a court qualified to rule on the matter).

Law Offices of Stephanie Lee Ehrbright, Esq.

The court could order him to. There may be issues of statutory rape also. He should speak to a defense attorney.

The Zwiebel Law Firm, LLC

No one can force a person to take a paternity test except for a judge. If you file for child support it is standard practice to prove paternity before ordering the father to pay child support.

Answer By Louis Leibowitz
Law Offices of Louis M. Leibowitz, LLC

In child support situations, a court will often force the purported dad to take a paternity test if he is challenging the claim that he is the dad. I don't think your parents can force someone to take a paternity test.