If I got a DWI 8 months ago and haven't gotten any paperwork, what should I do? - DUI Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

If I got a DWI 8 months ago and haven't gotten any paperwork, what should I do?

I was 16 when it happened on New Years of 2013 and I just turned 17 on August 6th, yesterday

Answer By Thomas C Phipps

You can call the clerk's office at the courthouse or you can hire an attorney to check on it for you.

Answer By Ezra Goldman
Law Offices of Ezra N. Goldman

Don't do anything. I have had cases where the court lost the file and a DUI was never heard of again.

Answer By Edward J. Blum
Law Office of Edward J. Blum

Check with the clerk at the criminal courts building. Bring ID, they'll let you know if you have a case pending. If they didn't give you a date to appear, if they're going to file charges, you'd get notice in the mail.

Answer By James Smith
Law Office of James E. Smith

Let sleeping dogs lie.

Answer By Gregory Casale
Gregory Casale Attorney at Law

You should have a lawyer check to make sure that you have no outstanding warrant that you are unaware of and if that is clean, forget about it unless you hear otherwise. You should have a lawyer check on the warrant instead of trying to do it yourself since you do not want to inadvertently initiate something that wouldn't otherwise happen. Also, you should make sure that the RMV and the Post Office have your correct mailing address. It is our legal obligation to make sure the RMV has current address and you want the post office to be accurate to make sure you don't miss a mailing. If there are no outstanding warrants, then forget and see what, if anything, happens.

Attorney at Law

What paperwork are you looking for? You were probably given a citation for a date to appear and probably missed the date, generating a bench warrant. If so, you need to put it on calendar and get it cleared. I generally do not advise calling the DA to see if something has been filed, because it might spark a filing that was not otherwise in the works.

Answer By Jason Savela
Connell-Savela

You might go to DMV and see if you DL is still valid, just ask for a drivers record (should be free). This will help you know whether you can drive or if you need to reinstate and how you can also contact the county court where the arrest was made. Call the main clerk and ask if there is a case with your name and if there is a warrant you should have received paperwork the night of the arrest (ticket, notice of revocation) but sometimes they do not do this.

Answer By Robert McCall

I would recommend going to the clerk of court office in the county where this happened. Ask to review the clerks file, in Florida this is a public record. As you indicate you were a juvenile when the event occurred this can take longer to process but eight months is way out of line.

Answer By John F Brennan

Probably nothing.

Answer By Matt Catchick
Catchick Law, PC

The Court will issue your Notice to Appear to whatever address you have on record with the Secretary of State, so if that is not your current mailing address, you may have never received the Notice to Appear. You should have an attorney call the applicable police station on your behalf to see if any formal charges have been issued, and to confirm there is no warrant out for your arrest.