How quickly can I file for bankruptcy? - Bankruptcy Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

How quickly can I file for bankruptcy?

I want to file for bankruptcy and get it over with. How quickly can I file for bankruptcy and be done with the entire process?

Answer By Alan D. Walton
Breckenridge and Walton

You can file as soon as all of your financial information is in order. Chapter 7 is done in about 4 months, chapter 13 in 3 to 5 years.

Chapter 7 is 90 days but a Chapter 13 is 3 or 5 years.

Answer By Tony Yuthas
G. Anthony Yuthas & Assoc.

Once you have provided all of the information we require, this office can file within hours if necessary. Once filed, the time until completion of a chapter 7 is approximately 90 days. The timing is dependant on the efficiency of the trustee and the court. If you find yourself in a situation where a Chapter 13 would be better for you, you need to plan on a little over 3 to 5 years from the date of filing.

Answer By Duncan T Pham
D T Pham Associates, PLLC

From start to finish: 120 days minimum.

Theodore N. Stapleton, PC

You can file within a day or two.

Lake Forest Bankruptcy

You can file for Bankruptcy immediately in theory, it depends how long it takes you to get all of your paperwork together. There is a minimum of 120 days that must pass in Bankruptcy before you will receive your discharge. By statute, it will never be shorter than that in the Central District of California.

Answer By Eric Lewis

You can file bankruptcy just as quick as you get everything together, including the petition, documentation, completion of schedules, attorney and filing fees.

Answer By Marvin Wolf
The Law Office of Marvin Wolf

If you have all the items required, a few days. If it's a chapter 7 bankruptcy, from the time you actually file until you get your discharge is usually five months, during which time you are protected by the court's automatic stay (the prohibition of collection efforts).

Answer By James Wingfield
Law Offices of James Wingfield

If your question is whether it is possible to file the case quickly, then the answer is yes. You can file a skeleton petition, but you will need to file all the remaining and supporting documentation necessary within 2 weeks of filing. If you go this route it is important to understand what information and documentation your attorney will need and be able to get all of the necessary documents together fairly quickly. If you are unable to put everything together in a timely fashion that your case will most likely be dismissed automatically at the end of the two week grace period. In my experience, unless there is a pending foreclosure that you need to stop, there is usually no reason to file in this manner. You should talk to an attorney about your specific situation sooner, rather than later, to determine whether there is a need to rush. Often rushing in without a solid strategy can be problematic for your case.

Answer By Katie M. Stone
The Law Offices of Katie M. Stone

There are two different chapters of personal bankruptcy. Chapter 7 which is a liquidation bankruptcy and takes about 4 months from filing to discharge and a chapter 13 which is a reorganization of your debt and a repayment plan (either a 36 or 60 month plan). In order to qualify for a chapter 7, you must pass what is called a "means test" meaning that your income must fall below the medium income allowed by your state and household size. I highly suggest you consult with an attorney to go over the bankruptcy process, the different chapters and which route would be best for you. Most attorney's will offer a free initial consultation. I hope you have found this answer useful.