How much will it cost to get a shoplifing charge expunged? - Criminal Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

How much will it cost to get a shoplifing charge expunged?

I have a shoplifting charge from when I was 19. It's been paid off, but remains on my record, preventing me from getting work. How much will it cost to get expunged?

You should first find out if you had gotten Youthful offender treatment which means that the conviction would be vacated and the records sealed. If you did not get youthful Offender treatment than you should hire an attoreny. Fees are set by individual attorneys.

Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC

My first advice would be to obtain an attorney to assist you with this matter. You may be eligible to expunge that prior conviction. Expunging a crime in Michigan is complicated. This response does not contain specific legal advice. If you need specific legal advice for your own circumstances, I recommend consulting with an attorney experienced with these types of matters. Most attorneys provide free initial consultations. Speaking in general terms, there are several significant obstacles to getting offenses expunged in Michigan. Expunging a criminal charge is great way of clearing up past mistakes. However, there are a series of obstacles. First, an applicant must only have one, single, count or charge, whether it's a misdemeanor or felony. If a person has more than one conviction on their record, whether it was multiple counts from the original case, or separate convictions, they are not eligible. Second, certain offenses cannot be expunged. Traffic offenses for example, even something as simple as driving on a suspended license, a lot of high level or capital felonies, and other offenses as listed in the applicable statutes, cannot be expunged. It depends on which offense is currently on the person's record. Additionally, even if a person only had one offense, if they had issues with probation, i.e., probation violations or other infractions while serving their sentence, that may be obstacle as well. There is also a time limitation. Any effort to expunge an offense cannot commence until five years after the date of conviction. Lastly, expunging an offense from a criminal record takes time, requires a lot of paperwork, carries some notable costs, and eventually, applicants need to appear before a judge and convince the judge that they are worthy of having the offense expunged in order to complete the process. Please consult with and retain a criminal defense attorney, preferably an experienced one who has handled these matters, to assist you with the process. Most attorneys offer a free initial consultation.

Answer By Phil Hache

It depends on the County you were convicted in, but the filing fee is generally around $120 plus attorneys fees should you hire one. I do not charge that much to handle first offense petty theft expungements.

Law Offices of Karen Kilpatrick

Do you know if you are eligible? Most cases cost between $500-$600 with an attorney. You can obtain a free eligibility evaluation and more information at www.ExpungeRecordFlorida.com

Answer By Craig Andersen

$2500 in fees and $300 for filing with the court.

Unfortunately, even a misdemeanor conviction such as shoplifting is not expungeable in the Commonwealth unless you can prove that you were wrongfully convicted and as a consequence have received a pardon from the governor. (See Va. Code Sec. 19.2-392.2 et seq.)

Talk to the Clerk of court in the county where the case arose, they can provide you with information of costs, and instructions on how to proceed with the filing of the petition.

Answer By Jared Altman

You cannot expunge a conviction in New York. Sorry.

Answer By Steve Freeborn

I have no idea. It depends upon how much an attorney is going to charge, the facts of your case, and whether those facts warrant expungement. Generally, if a matter can be expunged, it requires a 5 years period from the time your case is over (from the time you have completed all obligations) and that during that time you have had no other criminal incidents. The only way to know if to retain the services of an attorney.

The fees will vary depending upon what court you received the conviction in. The court will charge a filing fee to file the expungement and that charge may be different for different courts. Also your attorney fees may differ from each attorney. You should call ad check several sources to get an average total cost.