How much time can you get for a first offence robbery charge and can you avoid jail time with no money for a lawyer? - Criminal Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

How much time can you get for a first offence robbery charge and can you avoid jail time with no money for a lawyer?

Ultimately, sentencing depends on whether you are found guilty, the seriousness of the offense, your prior record, mitigation, allocution, and the judge.

Answer By Robert Scott

5 years or more incarceration.

Hammerschmidt Broughton Law

The maximum term for a robbery is 5 years in state prison. There are robberies, and there are robberies. Although it is a violent felony (strike offense), probation is still an option for the judge, depending on the circumstances of the case. What you WILL get if convicted is something I cannot answer without much more information.

It depends upon the type of robbery charge it is and a number of other variables. If a gun or other weapon was used and whether any injury occurred, both play into the outcome. As for not having enough money for an attorney, the Court will usually give you Legal Aide or an 18B Assigned attorney and they'll both be competent. But it would likely be better if you hired your own attorney since you usually get what you pay for in life.

Answer By John J. Carney
The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq.

You could get probation, 6 months, a year, or a long prison term. It all depends on the facts and circumstances of the case and who your lawyer is. If you use a weapon it is much more serious. If it is a loaded gun you are likely going to prison.

In Michigan, armed robbery is a crime that carries mandatory prison. There is no probation and you can get up to life in prison for it depending on the circumstances. You cant afford not to get a lawyer.

Answer By John W. Bussman
Rizio & Nelson

Thats a simple question with a very, very complicated answer. It's impossible for me to guess whether or not you'll be convicted since I know nothing about your specific case. If you are convicted, I have no idea how much time you'll get. Again, I dont know any of the facts for your case. Robbery carries a maximum penalty of 6 years in prison, but that number goes way up if there were any "aggravating factors"

Answer By Thomas E. Gates

If you lack the resources, a public defender can be assigned to you.

If the offense is a robbery first, in Alabama you could be facing not less than 10 nor more than 99 years or life. If a weapon was involved the minimum penalty is 20 years.

Answer By Jared C. Winter
Law Office of Jared C. Winter

You can get up to 6 years for 1st degree and up to 5 years for 2nd degree robbery. No one can answer you question about what types of settlements are possible because that depends on the facts, the strength of the evidence, the DA, and the judge. If you cant afford to hire a lawyer, one will be appointed by the court.