How much money should I expect to spend on a DUI case? - Criminal Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

How much money should I expect to spend on a DUI case?

I am trying to gather as much information as possible in order to deal with my sons DUI case. I want to know about how much I should be saving to take care of this case including the court fees, the fine, getting his license back, representation and so forth.

Answer By Jared Austin

That all depends. Fines and court costs will usually run a few hundred dollars. Usually no more than $500. If he is placed on probation, there will be an oversight fee of around $10-20 a month. Any drug or alcohol test he is ordered to get will cost money too. Depending on where you get them, it could range from a few bucks a test to as much as $15 or $20. The judge could order his vehicle to be immobilized or there to be an interlock device which will cost money to be installed. The judge could require a breathalyzer device to be installed which could run anywhere from $50-75 a month. If he loses his license to a DUI, he will have to pay $2,000 in driver's responsibility fees in order to get it back ($1,000 a year for two consecutive years). If he hires an attorney to represent him at that hearing, that will probably run anywhere from $1,000 to $1,500. For DUIs, if the matter is resolved with a plea without going to trial, expect to pay at least $500 which is the low end (and quite frankly I wouldn't trust an attorney charging that low) with $1,000 to $1,500 being the norm. If the case goes to trial, expect to pay at least $2,500 to $3,000. Don't forget to factor in the higher insurance premiums as well. Your insurance provider can give you that exact amount. Hope this gives you a better picture as to just how costly a DUI can be.

Answer By Michael Palumbo

Any competent DWI attorney, such as our office, charges on a first time DWI $3,500.00. You can add an additional $1,000.00 or so in court and DMV costs. Give us a call if you would like to discuss retaining our services.

Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC

The answer depends on how much you want to spend on your defense. If you privately retain an attorney, costs range significantly depending on who you retain. Further, in certain parts of the state, the retainer fees may be higher as well. Where you are charged will have a big impact as well. Certain counties and courts are more costly than others. Additionally, there may be license sanctions and other costs if you are convicted. I'd say plan on saving as much money as you can. The costs, especially if you retain an experienced OUI attorney, and even if you get a good result, could be thousands of dollars.

Law Office of Sara Sencer McArdle

I do not have enough information to answer this question. You need to consult with a lawyer. You can call me for further information. t be modified, otherwise your answer will not be valid.

Without further details that is next to impossible to answer. For instance is it going to be a plea bargain or trial, attorneys charge different fees for different things, fines depend on what plead to or get convicted of, DMV fees also depend on what conviction or plea, etc.

This is a difficult question to answer as the fines, court fees, attorney fees, program fees, insurance costs, all will vary depending upon the prior convictions and other factors. You should consult with an attorney with specific answers to the number of priors and other facts to get a quote.

Answer By Michael R. Nack
Michael R. Nack, Attorney at Law

Most competent, experienced attorneys will charge between $1500 and $2500 for a first time DWI and more if its a second DWI or worse. Then, there is almost always companion ticket for which the attorney may or may not charge a separate fee. The defendant usually has to pay a stiff fine (together with court costs) on the companion charge as a part of a plea bargain to avoid the conviction on the DWI. The defendant will also have to pay the police a recoupment fee and court costs on the DWI. Then there are the SATOP costs which are about $375 or more. If an ignition interlock device is required there will be a monthly charge for that. If the defendant refused the breath test and wants to keep his drivers license there may be attorney's fees of anywhere from $750 to $1500 or more plus the filing fee, and sheriff's fee. If the defendant only received a suspension, there will be a $45 reinstatement fee payable to the DOR and the added expense of having the insurance carrier provide the DOR with an SR-22. Generally speaking, in most instances you can expect to pay anywhere from about $3000 to about $5000 on a first time DWI. Beware of lawyers who send out solicitation materials or who charge a very small amount. I have seen cases where a person trying to save a few dollars on the front end winds up paying much more in the long run.

If found guilty your son could expect to pay $1,800.00 to $5,000.00 in court costs, fines and penalties. An attorney would charge $2,000.00 to $5,000.00.

Answer By Thomas J. Tomko

The cost of a DUI will vary by jurisdiction. Many times the fines and costs are similar from case to case in one courthouse. However, they can vary by court. When it comes to attorney fees, this will again vary from case to case. There are ranges of fees from county to county. It will also depend on how the case is handled. If a plea is negotiated, the fee will be different from a case where motions are filed, hearings are held, or a trial is conducted. You should discuss all of this with the attorney you hire to represent your son.

Answer By Thomas Mueller
Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller

About $5000